Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first pizza today, a few questions

Actually, it will be my second pizza but the first was more of an experiment.  I don't have a pizza stabber thing (the giant spatula that takes it out of the oven...what the hell is it called?).  So, when I did my first pizza, I had an issue transferring from my giant plate that I made/prepped the pizza on to the actual cooking surface. 

On my first attempt, I preheated the pizza stone with the egg.  Would I be giving up crispyness and taste if I just prep the pizza on the stone and put it all on the egg at the same time?  So essentially the pizza stone will be room temp instead of 500 degrees when starting the pizza.  I assume if I start the pizza on a cold stone, it wont be as crispy...correct?

Second, if I do preheat the stone, can I prep the pizza on parchment paper, put it on the stone with the pizza for a few minutes and then remove the paper?  Will the paper burn at 600 degrees?

Thank you.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    It's called a pizza peel. Get one! Personally, I prefer wood, but they also come in aluminum. Don't build the pie on a cold stone. It has to be preheated.

I don't care for parchment myself, but many seem to like it. Suggest that you pull it out from under the pie after a couple of minutes. Supposedly improves the crust.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    1. preheat heat the stone. you will get a better cook. 
    2. stop at the store and get some parchment paper.
    3. build your pizza on top of a baking sheet with the parchment paper. this will help the transfer between baking sheet and the hot pizza stone. 
    4. once the crust starts to brown remove parchment paper.  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I haven't done a pizza yet today....

There's also a "super peel"...you can buy them.  I made one.

http://www.superpeel.com/

Its funny that I worked in a pizza shop for 5 years in college, yet I don't know what the "pizza peel" is called.  Ill probably make my owne eventually but for now, ill use the parchment paper trick.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191

If you don't pre heat your pizza stone, your pizza dough will not be cooked and the toppings will!

I prep my pizzas on none stick pans and slide them on the pre heated ceramic stones -- cooks great for me and easy to handle.