Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Control

Another temp control question:

I've had my LBGE about a year and seem to be able to keep the temp consistent as long as it's over 300 degrees. I calibrated the dome temp a few months back and use a Maverick to grate and meat temp.

I'd love to be able to keep my LBGE at <275 manually for a long smoke.  I've started looking at the digiq and others, but in the meantime what would be your suggestions?

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    how tight is your dome fitting?  When you add wood chips/chunks does smoke come out around the seam?  It sounds like you have additional airflow you can't choke out.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Captpablo
    Captpablo Posts: 63
    Good question and off the top of my head don't recall smoke coming out the sides. I do need a new gasket as I do a lot of pizzas. My dome is not 100% aligned either, but from reading here it's seems like that is not an issue either.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    While you are not seeing any smoke coming out around the gasket, the only time I had trouble holding mid-200 cooks was when a gasket was blown. There was enough air leak that even w. the daisy shut, I would go up higher than I wanted.
  • Captpablo
    If a gasket issue, what's the latest for high and low temp usage? I don't mind replacing once a year. What would ya'll recommend?  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    what's the problem?  Does the fire go out?  How are you starting your fire and how are you controlling the temp?

Issue is fire seems to get to hot. I aim for 270 or less and seem to always end for 300plus for smokes.

I load with WGWW up to fire line, oil/paper towel. Torch it. I start small. Vents wide open as well as lid open. I close lid once I see some lump catch.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

As mentioned above the BGE runs on lump and temperature control is by air-flow.  If you can't get down to the low 200's then you either have indication problems (which you have eliminated) or excessive air leaking into the BGE.  Your absence of a gasket is a likely contributor-try the "dollar bill" test to see how well your dome to base sits.  Close the dome on a dollar bill and then pull the bill out and test at various points around the seating area.  You should get resistance when pulling the bill for a decent seal.

FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Try making a pyramid on top with the pinnacle towards the front of the egg (fire tends to burn towards the back).  Light a small fire on the top of the pinnacle. Let the fire establish without getting huge and shut the bottom vent to about 1/8" open and the top daisy wheel just barely cracked (I'm counting on leaks here).  Let it stabilize for an hour, if it goes out, try again with the top open more.  See what temp it stabilizes at.  Adjust.  Once you get a stable low temp egg, remember what you did.
    All good tips and suggestions. I'm going to replace the gasket this weekend and then try @nolaegghead's suggestion around building a fire.  Thanks all!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I don't have gaskets and my domes don't fit well. I can hold 200* without a problem. Can't get the burning lump extinguished quick but no affect on holding low temps.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2013
    I don't have gaskets and my domes don't fit well. I can hold 200* without a problem. Can't get the burning lump extinguished quick but no affect on holding low temps.
    Zackly. Airflow is airflow, whether it's through the vents only or through ill fitting parts. If you have leaks elsewhere, just close the real vents more. I know lotsa guys who haven't had a gasket in years.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Captpablo

I think that's where I am stuck, I read that " I don't have gaskets and my domes don't fit well. I can hold 200* without a problem" and gets me thinking I really must be doing something wrong.

How long does it take to get stable at 200*? Perhaps that's my issue. I try to get going quickly.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

Your description of how you initially light the BGE sounds fairly routine-if you wait til you get around a soft-ball sized amount of lump burning then shut the dome and adjust the bottom vent to about half-open and set the DFMT on top again about half -open, you should see the dome thermo start to rise.  As you pass about 170-180*F shut down on the lower vent to around 1/4 " open and set the top to just the petals full open and see what happens.  temperature should slowly climb and you can adjust further to your desired cooking value. 

If looking for the low temp cooks you are likely going indirect so you should add the platesetter or whatever you sue just prior to shutting the dome.  You have a lot of mass (ceramic) to heat up so be patient as the temperature rises.  And for low &slow don't chase the temp-+/-15*F or so is fine as long as you are stable.

Remember-when you make any air-flow adjustment the feedback is a temperature change and that can take several minutes if you are moving in small increments.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Before I got my DigiQ, for a 250° lo n slo cook, this was my method. I would light the lump in 2-3 places, put in all the parts I was going to use, close the dome, open the bottom vent all the way and leave the DFMT off. When the temp got to 235-240-ish, I would close the bottom to about 1/16", put the DFMT on and open just the petals about the width of a toothpick. Temp usually settled in pretty close. Let it stay at target temp for 30-45 minutes before adding the meat. Never paid any attention to how long all this took. Sorta like a butt... it's ready when it's ready. :)

Pay attention while the temp's on it's way up. If it gets past target for too long, it can take a while to come back down.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Or the faster method is leave the dome open until the fire is established. Then close the dome and adjust your vents. Ceramic doesn't get too hot if the dome is open.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Or the faster method is leave the dome open until the fire is established. Then close the dome and adjust your vents. Ceramic doesn't get too hot if the dome is open.
    I tried that way back when and it always seemed to get away from me. Now, I just plug in the DigiQ and let it do the work.  :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    I'm sure you do, you use a MAC also.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    I'm sure you do, you use a MAC also.
    The only way to fly.  :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Captpablo

Update - Took off old OEM gasket and replaced with a Nomex. I was going to go with the Rutland but decided to hold off and see how this goes. The "Mothership" is now offering a new high heat gasket with new eggs. Might eventually try that.

I let it sit overnight and then realigned the lid. I had an under bite that was letting air in from different places. 

Fired it up and noticed temp control was perfect. Anyhow, thanks to all for the suggestions!

Happy Egging! 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I thought you rigged up an electric hot plate in your fire pit for your 200* cooks?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.