Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about how to treat my wood cart.

Options
So, I bought my Egg last summer with the wooden cart table.  I was going to stain and finish it, but the weather didn't really co-operate and it didn't happen.  Pulling it out this summer, there are some black stains on the main surface of the table, caused I suspect by setting the grill grate down on it, as well as leaks and drips from in front and back of the Egg itself.  I've sanded the stains off as best I can, but am looking at the next step.  Thinking about bleaching to get that whatever-it-is off before I proceed to staining and finishing.  So my question is, has anyone else dealt with this before, what did you do, how well did it work, and how long did it take?

Comments

• billsme
    billsme Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm surprised the black stains haven't sanded off, if they are burns they are surprisingly deep.  I got my used Large with a cart that was in rough shape and I was able to pressure wash my table pretty good (it's not a great table to start with).  Given that the sanding didn't work, I'm not sure a pressure washer would help in your situation.  If it is a mold, bleach may help but I would be certain to mix with a good amount of water.
  • ErikModi
    ErikModi Posts: 26
    Options
    They're not burns, and the stains were definitely lessened by sanding.  I think it's more something that seeped into the wood, and I could probably get it out just sanding if I spent way too much time and effort and really stripping down the wood, which I'd rather not do for a variety of reasons.

A web search about bleaching wood seems to recommend regular household bleach for most stains, including "black water stains," which I don't think these are but who knows.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Try TSP (trisodium phosphate). It can be found in the deck stain isle at your home center. It is made for cleaning decks and wood. I recommend Sikkens products for finishing. SRD is a deck/siding stain. I'm currently in the middle of a table build and I'm staining with Sikkens Door and Window.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • ErikModi
    Options
    I got stain and finish last summer, just didn't get a chance to use it.  I'll look into that, though, thanks!
  • ErikModi
    Options
    Oh. . . so would TSP be used instead of or in addition to bleach?
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Lowe's has a good degreaser... I'd skip the bleach.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN