Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked salmon help?

I made my first smoked salmon tonight. It was quite good, put it was quite salty.  The texture was also a bit more chewy than store-bought stuff.  Any advice on how to reduce the saltiness and have it a bit less chewy.  My cure was 2 parts sugar to 1 part kosher salt.  Also added some dill and lemon day 2.  Thanks.

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    You can reduce the saltiness by soaking it in water, try a few hours to start.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Jerryp, it might have been "chewy" if it was over cooked. I cook mine to between 130 and 135. I like it a little on the rare side.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Actually, many prefer the chewy texture of a smoked salmon, if it is cooked just right, there are those that think it is spoiled or undercooked. Depends what you use it for. Served as an appy on crackers or bread, it often has something else with it so the chewy texture is just fine, not jerky mind you, just with a little attitude. 

If you are just smoking for a meal, why would you cure it? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    It wasn't cooked by heat. It cured for 48 hours and cold smoked for an hour. I expected the texture but not the saltiness. I like it, but I like salty stuff. My wife commented on the saltiness.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Ideally, you want to add enough cure so it cures without becoming too salty.  It's kind of an art form - I put the fish skin down on a bed of cure, then pour the cure on top proportionally to the thickness of the fish.  I go about 24 hours with the cure on, then wash it off and let it sit for another 24 hours to distribute.  Then taste it - if it's too salty, soak in cold water for a few hours like billyray said.  Taste again - when the salt is right, let it sit and get a pellicle then cold smoke.  You want to make sure the cold smoke doesn't heat the fish over 90F or the texture will change.

If you cold smoke, I'm assuming you're using a sodium nitrite cure - dangerous if you don't.

Smoke lightly and for longer periods.  I try to get 4-6 hours of smoke on the fish.  Then let it rest in the fridge for a day or so.  If the outside picked up some nasty smoke, you can rinse it, but try to get a mild, long smoke versus a heavy short smoke.
    nolaegghead - any thoughts on Ruhlman/Polcyn's cold smoked salmon method? I brined for a 1.5 lbs coho filet for the recommended 36 hours. cold smoked with cherry traeger pellets in an a-maze-n q set up on just below the fire box, salmon at felt line. taste was fantastic, but fish was mushy. wondering if i over-brined?
  • nolaegghead
    @jdgcrean - What temperature did you cold smoke at?  If you go over 85-90F the texture of the fish can change.

didn't use my maverick, but temp was consistently low - had to relight the amps a few times, and the grill was never higher than essentially room temp.

• nolaegghead
    Ambient where I am is too hot (that's why I put an AC in my cold smoker).  Anyway, here's some info on the temp....but it sound like the fish got too hot.  It's possible the fish just started off that way.  Over brining would give you a very firm fish, and very salty.

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/meat-smoking/cold-smoking