Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Defrost Boston Butt

Took out a 9lb Butt sunday night from the freezer and it was still hard as a rock monday afternoon. I need this thing defrosted by tuesday night, but I dont see that happening :(
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    You can cook it frozen. Just takes a bit longer. If the surface is thawed it will hold the rub.
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited June 2013
    Its in the fridge I assume? Just put it in a bowl on the counter. Or plug one side of the sink and fill it up with water and toss it in there, will be thawed in no time. Water on the warmer than the colder side, but you do not want to "cook" it any, and I change the water every so often. You can for sure have this thing thawed by then my man. 

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Tjcoley said:
    You can cook it frozen. Just takes a bit longer. If the surface is thawed it will hold the rub.
    I've done that too, didn't really notice a huge time difference. 

XLBGE 
  • she is sitting in a bowl on the counter..
  • MrCookingNurse
    Your A/C bill is gonna be awful

XLBGE 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Per Alton Brown on an episode of Good Eats, keep it sealed and soak it in a bowl covered with cold water and change it every 30 minutes. I'd feel it each time when you do a water change and once it has thawed sufficiently pop it back ito the fridge. My guess is you'll probably soak it for 90-120 mins total.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • MrCookingNurse
    R2Egg2Q said:

Per Alton Brown on an episode of Good Eats, keep it sealed and soak it in a bowl covered with cold water and change it every 30 minutes. I'd feel it each time when you do a water change and once it has thawed sufficiently pop it back ito the fridge. My guess is you'll probably soak it for 90-120 mins total.

That's the quickest way. If its sealed in plastic it'll go great. Doesn't work so well for pieces of naked meat.

XLBGE 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Just thaw enough to get the outside "rubable" and just stick it in the egg if it's still frozen on the inside. If it were thawed and in the fridge, your internal temp would probably be around +/-35 degrees, just a few degrees from frozen so it's not going to make any noticeable difference in cooking time.
    Dunedin, FL
  • The water trick is working. I just stuck a probe in her and the internal temp is 30deg. I'll wait a few more hours then throw her back in the fridge.
  • MrCookingNurse
    The water trick is working. I just stuck a probe in her and the internal temp is 30deg. I'll wait a few more hours then throw her back in the fridge.
    I've put butts on that cold, they'll thaw while you cook.  

XLBGE 
  • Just put the butt on 245deg. See y'all in the morning
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Good luck.  Looking forward to the result.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks tasty!  What did you use for a rub? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Lots of Apple Rub. Apple wood chunks, few pieces of Hickory and mesquite.