Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Steak Failure Ever

Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,795
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum

So my original plan for my Father's Day cook was to try to recreate something like a Perry's pork chop and something similar with a prime ribeye roast.  Unfortunately, my usual stops didn't have a bone-in pork roast (rack of pork) - nor did they have a choice or prime bone-in ribeye roast.... and I was pressed for time.  I was able to get a select 7 rib ribeye roast (19 pounds) and then after purchasing it was informed that a couple of the scheduled guests were unable to attend.  I had also purchased a 2.1 pound beef tenderloin roast as my wife prefers filet mignon and I have never compared ribeye and filet at the same meal so I wanted to do that. 

When I got home I sliced the ribeye roast into a 4 rib portion for now and a 3 rib portion for later.  We coated the ribeye roast and the tenderloin in Montreal Steak seasoning and a little kosher salt with some olive oil to hold it on.  The egg was stabilized at 325 with a platesetter in place and a drip pan with water and a sliced onion (I have had excellent results with this on other grills so I thought I would give it a try on the egg). 

The tenderloin took about 90 minutes to reach 103 when we pulled and FTC'd it.  The ribeye roast was at 90 internal when we pulled it after about 2.5 hours.  We took the platesetter out of the egg and opened it up.  The tenderloin was up to 123 internal just from sitting in the cooler in foil.  We sliced each hunk of meat into 4 steaks and by the time we were done slicing the egg was at about 1000 degrees.  We put each steak on for about 30 seconds per side to sear and took them off.  Once the pulling, slicing and searing process started we were too busy to take pictures.  Fortunately, my best friend spontaneously decided to take a picture of his ribeye so I at least have that to show.  And yes, it is sitting on a full-sized dinner plate. 

The periphery of the meat was overcooked, probably because we put it on the grill very cold and roasted it at a higher temperature due to time constraints.  I usually like to cook prime rib at 250 or so.  I will definitely do this again and when I do it will be with a better grade of meat and a lower roast temp.  But it was still awesome. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I cant see, mama. I must be going blind. The good lord must have put my eyes out. There are no pictures anywhere. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Foghorn
    Sorry, the glare from the sun from a balcony in South Padre didn't allow me to see that the pics hadn't finished loading when I posted the discussion.  The WiFi here is pretty slow.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    I had to do it on my iPhone for some reason. Won't seem to upload from my computer.

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Looks good from here.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Wondering where you were. Thought about you and your son on father's day.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    henapple said:
    Wondering where you were. Thought about you and your son on father's day.

Thanks.  Ditto.  I was driving 5 hours to South Padre on Father's Day.  Work has been really busy.  Seems like you enjoyed PCB quite a bit despite my snobbish remarks on another thread.  We're doing the same this week - although the food here isn't nearly as good as PCB.

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That's a manly steak!

I'm amazed that it cooked 20° more during the FTC. I always thought it cooked for another 5-10° during resting. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've never been to sp. The food sacked this year. Best meal was burgers closing down the beach.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Foghorn said:
    Sorry, the glare from the sun from a balcony in South Padre didn't allow me to see that the pics hadn't finished loading when I posted the discussion.  The WiFi here is pretty slow.
    You almost need bigger plates!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Please call me over for your next failure!!  I don't mind.  Really I don't!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Foghorn
    @caliking, yeah, I was surprised how much the temp changed during FTC as well. I can think of two things to explain it.
    First, when the thermometer showed 103 we still had to collect our foil, towel, and cooler and that took a few minutes. As someone else mentioned recently on a other thread, once the temp starts going up it rises pretty quickly. It may have been 110 - 115 when we actually got it off the grill.
    Second, we cooked at a pretty high temp starting with a cold piece of meat. The temp of the surface/peripheral meat was higher than the central meat - and this was more of a difference than usual. During the FTC this heat evened out across the whole tenderloin.
    At least that is what I think happened.
    I'll just have to take this "failure" and learn from it and move on. I recently heard Ed Viesturs speak about his mountaineering experiences. He says that as long as you survive the "failure" it is not a failure, just a non-success during which you gained a lot of experience that will make you more likely to succeed next time. I'm going with that approach.

San Antonio, TX

• chays99
    chays99 Posts: 41
    We are at SPI right now too. Did you take your egg with you or are you staying somewhere with one? We come here every summer and I never have found a decent restaurant.
  • Foghorn
    No grilling this week. SWMBO doesn't really consider it a vacation if there are dishes/kitchen clean-up involved so we're in a hotel and eating out for every meal. We went to Pier 19 last night and it was excellent. Cap'n'Roys is pretty good for the price. If you come across any gems let me know.

San Antonio, TX

• chays99
    chays99 Posts: 41
    Gabriella's is usually very good if you want italian. We usually go twice per trip. We went to Daddy's last night to have our catch cooked and it was good. Pier 19 is on our list for this trip. What do you recommend? I agree on Capn Roys. I enjoy their bacon wrapped shrimp.
  • Foghorn
    The mahi was good and my wife said the shrimp quesadilla was the best quesadilla she's ever had. The shrimp ceviche was good as well.

San Antonio, TX