Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Seeking advice for doing pork butt on small

Any tips or suggestions for doing a turbo butt on a Small? Time/temp?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
·

Comments

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,552
    I am doing one right now. 350 until 160 internal, wrap, cook to 200 internal. They are always great.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 977
    @Hi54putty - how long does the total cook usually take? Do you FTC afterwards?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,985
    It's the same as a turbo butt on any other size as long as your butt fits.Good luck!

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,714
    Why is the temperature higher on the small vrs the large etc. I do butts on a large @ 280. Is it harder for the small to maintain lower temps? I want to do one on my small, now this has my questioning how to do it.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,445
    I've done several butts on my small. I usually do them 250 dome and they average 10-12 hours for a 8-10 pound butt.

I also use a woo so I'm at the felt.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    I cook butts on my Small at the same temps that I use on my larger Eggs. As long as you load up the lump high (like at least 1/2 way up the fire ring), you should be able to complete the cook at any cook temp.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,735
    If you go the turbo route, use a drip pan with an air gap. Foil at 160 -165.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·