Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Fathers Day Gift

hapster
hapster Posts: 7,503
Not really related to egging except that it should make taking food pics a little less complicated.

We are taking our daughter to Disney in Sept before she outgrows her excitement. I said to my wife in passing on Sunday morning that I should get a "point & shoot" camera so I don't have to travel and lug my heavy gear around. I usually end up missing more moments in the act of trying to capture them LOL

To my mild surprise she said go ahead... I was outta the house in under 15 min :))

Having done my research before; I picked up a Sony RX100. The camera is tiny compared to my normal rig. My daughter said I looked like a gorilla trying to text on an iPhone when I first started to play with it.

Here is one that I got last night of Elise around sunset. She has no idea why I actually got the camera LOL. Can't wait till we tell her.

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Nice shot and beautiful girl, those eyes!!! 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Great pic Hap, and beautiful girl.  She must take after her mother.  
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Hap, you ought to be so proud.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• hapster
    Thanks guys...

Very proud of her. And her looks are all her mother's fault
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    Great picture. Now we look forward to all your great cook pictures.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited June 2013

She looks like a future movie star man. Don't envy you in a few years man.

Here's mine

photo d9f68de7-9dfc-44f8-9273-d4fd4717aa53.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Great picture, I should look into getting a small camera for these type functions. You caught somewhat of a Mona Lisa smile in this pic.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • hapster
    Looks like we'll both be in trouble. ;)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    That was a couple of years ago. She's 15 going on 35 now. Ugh!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• wow! that is an awsome point and shoot. 20 MPXL! nice pick up
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Great stuff!   We're taking our kids on a surprise Disney trip in September as well. All of a sudden I'm thinking....... Orlando Eggfest??!
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Hap - you definitely have an artist's eye.  Great job on the crop/composition. And yes, I fear you are in deep do-do.  

Invite any would be suitors out to the deck after dark.  Lift the lid of the egg when it is in volcano mode.  Ask 'em if they ever thought about how long it would take to burn up a whole human body at 1200 degrees...
  • hapster
    ddegger said:

Great stuff!   We're taking our kids on a surprise Disney trip in September as well. All of a sudden I'm thinking....... Orlando Eggfest??!

We are heading down on the 19th and returning on Sunday the 22nd?

When are you down? We have one day at Universal so she can do the whole Harry Potter thing. She is going to go apeshit!
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    @hapster you need this

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    We are heading down on the 19th and returning on Sunday the 22nd? When are you down? We have one day at Universal so she can do the whole Harry Potter thing. She is going to go apeshit!
    Too bad - we're going to be therw from the 25th to oct 1. Oh well - Orlando Eggfest will have to wait. Have fun!
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140

Beautiful girl you have there.  This weekend, we were just talking about taking one more trip to Disney.  Saturday was my daughters 13th birthday and I want to take her and her younger brother before they figure out we aren’t cool and are dumb as a box of rocks.  :D   I figure I have a year or less.

Enjoy your trip.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• hapster
    RV10Flyer said:

Beautiful girl you have there.  This weekend, we were just talking about taking one more trip to Disney.  Saturday was my daughters 13th birthday and I want to take her and her younger brother before they figure out we aren’t cool and are dumb as a box of rocks.  :D   I figure I have a year or less.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks! Figure this is about it for her to still be jacked about Harry Potter. Also this may be the last year for Santa as well.

Dammit! They grow up too fast...
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    hapster said:

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks! Figure this is about it for her to still be jacked about Harry Potter. Also this may be the last year for Santa as well. Dammit! They grow up too fast...

Last year for Santa. What do you mean? Are you trying to tell me something?
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2013
    Nice camera hap! I always have to remind myself that you shoot Sony!

Looks like a pretty pimp unit! Love that it has manual, aperture & shutter priority! Loving these hybrid P&S!

I've been looking at the Fuji X100 for the same reason. We're taking the kids in August. I put together a cheesy "you're going to Disney World" video for them. I showed it to them yesterday for my Father's Day gift to myself. It was awesome!! :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • hapster
    @Tjcoley
    Not at all... Just the child's version of Santa compared to the more adult version that we've come to know as we get older.
  • hapster
    edited June 2013
    cazzy said:

Nice camer hap! I always have to remind myself that you shoot Sony!

Looks like a pretty pimp unit! Love that it has manual, aperture & shutter priority! Loving these hybrid P&S!

I've been looking at the Fuji X100 for the same reason. We're taking the kids in August. I put together a cheesy "you're going to Disney World" video for them. I showed it to them yesterday for my Father's Day gift to myself. It was awesome!! :D

That must have been awesome when they realized where they are going! So cool!

I like the looks of the Fuji. I'm going to get a 3rd party grip for it so I have a little bit more to hang on to and a ready to shoot case as well. Also like the video capabilities as well, now I only have to carry one camera. With the 64GB card, it gives me about 5800 images at full 20MP along with almost 600min of video. More than I should ever need for this trip. Takes up about the same space and volume as my iPhone when it's in my pocket. Just couldn't see trying use my more traditional gear. It's great if its just me and I am only going out just for shooting, but when it's hanging with the family, it's a real PITA sometimes.

Just make sure you give yourself enough time to get familiar with it before you go. With my A700, I don't even have to take my eye outta the viewfinder to change any settings. I want to be almost as sure with this one by the time we go.
  • cazzy
    hapster said:

cazzy said:

Nice camer hap! I always have to remind myself that you shoot Sony!

That must have been awesome when they realized where they are going! So cool!

I like the looks of the Fuji. I'm going to get a 3rd party grip for it so I have a little bit more to hang on to and a ready to shoot case as well. Also like the video capabilities as well, now I only have to carry one camera. With the 64GB card, it gives me about 5800 images at full 20MP along with almost 600min of video. More than I should ever need for this trip. Takes up about the same space and volume as my iPhone when it's in my pocket. Just couldn't see trying use my more traditional gear. It's great if its just me and I am only going out just for shooting, but when it's hanging with the family, it's a real PITA sometimes.
    Yep! The best camera is always the one you have with you...but I don't want to take my heavy and expensive gear to Disney World. Heck, I'm debating even taking it with me as I don't want to leave it in the hotel either.

A hybrid P&S just might get the job done! ;)

I assume your new baby shoots raw?

• cazzy
    Oh yeah, it was pretty cool to see there expression. I love iMovie on my Mac. So easy to use!

If you think you might want to do something similar, Id be happy to send you my video to give some ideas.
  • hapster
    @cazzy
    Yep. Raw, raw+jpeg, and fine and standard jpeg.

Honestly; the fine jpeg is probably what I'll shoot. The jpeg software in camera, and the processing software on the computer handle the images so well at this point, I don't see the need for raw in 90% of this street/documentary shooting that I'll use this camera for...

I was thinking the same thing for my serious gear. Most of my glass is 25+ year old Minolta classics that would be almost impossible to replace at a reasonable price. The RX100 has a Zeiss lens, it doesn't get much better than Zeiss for glass. My first digital was the Sony F717 and it took stunning, almost 3D texture images with a Zeiss in it. Actually, this camera might be worth the money just based on the lens alone.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    edited June 2013
    LS, I don't even have a daughter, but I had to copy your "rules".   :-bd

Great shot, Hapster!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• cazzy
    hapster said:

@cazzy
    Yep. Raw, raw+jpeg, and fine and standard jpeg.

Honestly; the fine jpeg is probably what I'll shoot. The jpeg software in camera, and the processing software on the computer handle the images so well at this point, I don't see the need for raw in 90% of this street/documentary shooting that I'll use this camera for...

I was thinking the same thing for my serious gear. Most of my glass is 25+ year old Minolta classics that would be almost impossible to replace at a reasonable price. The RX100 has a Zeiss lens, it doesn't get much better than Zeiss for glass. My first digital was the Sony F717 and it took stunning, almost 3D texture images with a Zeiss in it. Actually, this camera might be worth the money just based on the lens alone.

Man, let me know what you think after you've played with it for a few weeks. Unless its just a fanboy approval, I might have to pick it up! I'm a big time Sony fanboy myself, so I have a big soft spot for Sony gear. LOL
  • hapster
    @cazzy

I plan on putting it thru its paces over the next couple of weeks and I'll be sure to let you know.

I also bought the Gary Friedman guide for it. Very helpful. I have the ones he did for the A100 and A700. Makes the learning curve a little shorter and worth the $ for the downloadable books.
  • Tjcoley said:
    Great pic Hap, and beautiful girl.  She must take after her mother.  
    That's what I say about my daughters.  And that's a good thing!
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Hap - stunning picture of your beautiful daughter. We may have to organize a group buy for that camera if you'll give lessons :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.