Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bhut Jolokia (ghost peppers)

Comments

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    don't touch your eyes or scratch any sensitive areas after handling them! Wear gloves and double scrub your hands when done
    That is not gonna work. Best to just man up and pee when ya gotta

Harbour Freight sells HD blue gloves as well. Don't you have some? :D

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    They are for girly men

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Aviator
    They are for girly men
    Yu talkin bout MCN?

Chattanooga, TN.

• Little Steven
    Absolutely! Little light in the loafers that boy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Aviator

OK, here is what we are going with:

Chattanooga, TN.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

In 2009, scientists at India's Defence Research and Development Organisation announced plans to use the peppers in hand grenades, as a non lethal way to flush out terrorists from their hideouts and to control rioters. It will also be developed into pepper spray as a self-defense product.[20][21][22][23][24][25][26][27][28]

R. B. Srivastava, the director of the Life Sciences Department at the New Delhi headquarters of India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (who also led a defense research laboratory in Assam), said bhut jolokia-based aerosol sprays could be used by women as a "safety device", and "civil variants" of chili grenades could be used to control and disperse mobs.[29]

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    I'm wearing gloves and washing my hands no matter what Steve says. 

I treat my buddy better than that. 

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    Well you are the idea guy after all.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Use gloves? Light in the loafers. Use a Mac? Light in the loafers. Other things qualify, I'm sure. You Canuckians are such BEASTS!!  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    According to OZ, which is what I like to call Wikipedia, the Trinidad Moluca Scorpion weighs in as the Earth's hottest pepper at 1.5 to 2.0 million Scoville units, followed by the Jolokia Ghost Pepper at .8 to 1.35 million units! Either way, that' pretty damn hot, but I agree with earlier posts where it was mentioned that climate plays a big role! My guess is that a scorpion or ghost grown in Northern Illinois (where I live) would probably have half the Scoville rating than those African and South American peppers grown in the motherland! Be careful with those !
  • Little Steven
    Use gloves? Light in the loafers. Use a Mac? Light in the loafers. Other things qualify, I'm sure. You Canuckians are such BEASTS!!  :D

Especially MAC users and cyclists

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurse

Especially MAC users and cyclists

wow, I'm on my MAC right now, wear gloves all day long.... actually I'm a male nurse 
    8->

XLBGE 
  • Aviator
    The trick about peppers, especially the hot kind, is not to feed them or water them after they are up and fruiting, almost to a drought condition. They bring out the best and will be mean.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Bayarad said:
    According to OZ, which is what I like to call Wikipedia, the Trinidad Moluca Scorpion weighs in as the Earth's hottest pepper at 1.5 to 2.0 million Scoville units, followed by the Jolokia Ghost Pepper at .8 to 1.35 million units! Either way, that' pretty @#!*% hot, but I agree with earlier posts where it was mentioned that climate plays a big role! My guess is that a scorpion or ghost grown in Northern Illinois (where I live) would probably have half the Scoville rating than those African and South American peppers grown in the motherland! Be careful with those !
    You can grow them hot anywhere. The soil gets seasoned after a while. All your veggies grown in it will be spicy. Knew a guy with an Habenero garden who had broccoli and tomatoes that were hotter than jalapenos. I touched my eye after picking them one afternoon......wiped out for 4 hours. My whole face turned purple radiating out from a white-as-a-ghost spot around my eye. I thought I was going to die. It just wouldn't stop.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Aviator
    edited June 2013
    Its not the soil dude, they were doin it heavy !! ( cross pollination) Comprande?

Chattanooga, TN.

• MrCookingNurse
    Aviator said:
    Its not the soil dude, they were doin it heavy !! ( cross pollination) Comprande?
    habenero-broccoli ?? habenoccoli??  :-O

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    I can't seem to comment. Perhaps I am bannonated

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurse
    dont get our hopes up

XLBGE 
  • I can't seem to comment. Perhaps I am bannonated

[-O<
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven

[-O<

Well played...Bravo!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Wow, great thread.  Never thought an organic burning ring of fire laxative would garner so much interest. ;)  I'm going through a bottle this stuff about every 3 months.

Nola, I've been collecting hot sauces for about 35 years. Have over 1200 now. Still mostly packed away till you make me a bar and some display cabinets. Last house I had railing around the kitchen, cupboards and all around the dining room and a couple of glass front cabinets. White and red rope lighting all around. Looked boss.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    How very un-Canadian of you, Steve, black pepper being "hot" and all that up dere in the nose-bleed section of the continent.  But that's a noble elixir to collect.  I already have a design in mind....
    edited June 2013
    i guess @aviator didn't make it through supper  :-SS

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    I've told you before, I'm a full sized Cajun trapped in a little Canuck body.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    edited June 2013
    I've told you before, I'm a full sized Cajun trapped in a little Canuck body.
    I worked for a while with a contractor named Dan, he was a Cajun trapped in a Norwegian body.  Loved the cajun culture, food, people...spent lots of time down in Cajun-land.  Anyway, one of the smartest people I've ever met. Brilliant programmer.  Mensa member.  Beautiful writer.  He worked for us a few months before he went AWOL after skipping a few doses of his meds.  Bat-**** crazy, but he pulls it off.  Here's one of his blogs.  http://theforvm.org/diary/blaisep

Bayarad said:

According to OZ, which is what I like to call Wikipedia, the Trinidad Moluca Scorpion weighs in as the Earth's hottest pepper at 1.5 to 2.0 million Scoville units, followed by the Jolokia Ghost Pepper at .8 to 1.35 million units! Either way, that' pretty @#!*% hot, but I agree with earlier posts where it was mentioned that climate plays a big role! My guess is that a scorpion or ghost grown in Northern Illinois (where I live) would probably have half the Scoville rating than those African and South American peppers grown in the motherland! Be careful with those !

You can grow them hot anywhere. The soil gets seasoned after a while. All your veggies grown in it will be spicy. Knew a guy with an Habenero garden who had broccoli and tomatoes that were hotter than jalapenos. I touched my eye after picking them one afternoon......wiped out for 4 hours. My whole face turned purple radiating out from a white-as-a-ghost spot around my eye. I thought I was going to die. It just wouldn't stop.

Holy crap wonder if they cross-pollinated with the peppers somehow! Botany is outside my skillset but I bet those broccoli and tomatoes made for some great dishes!
  • Aviator

Well, as it happens, here are my preliminary observations:

I am talking about the Daves's Ghost pepper sauce. Know nothing else, so far.

We ate leftovers tonight, especially, the fried rice, pork and the TN whiskey sauce.

I served myself a generous table spoon full of the said hot sauce, and my daughter was brave enough to serve herself about a 1/2 a teaspoon full. I, only cautiously, dipped the tines of my fork in the hot sauce and wiped it on the rice, mixed into it with the mushroom sauce. It was fabulous. Sweat was pouring off my forehead and back of neck and I was told I was red in the face. I loved it. No drama like on u-tube. Anyway, persuaded my lil one to try it as well and she did. We decided on the following:

It actually tasted like the "vadu mango" indian pickle that is available in Indian grocery stores, but only insanely more HOT. If you have not tried it, you will not know what I am talking about.

After a few mins, the aftertaste was sweet. !!! A lot of heat with sweet.

I will certainly do it again. No problems since dinner.

Looking forward to some actual peppers. There are some serious possibilities here.

Forge ahead, MCN. Fear not. :)

Chattanooga, TN.

• cbruce
    cbruce Posts: 19
    I made some hot sauce out of one last year and developed a severe allergic reaction to it that landed me in the hospital. I broke out in a horrible rash and could not bend my joints. there was a point that I could not even get out of bed because it hurt too much. after a month of steroids, weekly blood tests, and a trip to the hospital my body finally recovered. I'm sure my experience was extremely unusual. On a good note... the hot sauce was pretty tasty.
  • Aviator
    cbruce said:
    I made some hot sauce out of one last year and developed a severe allergic reaction to it that landed me in the hospital. I broke out in a horrible rash and could not bend my joints. there was a point that I could not even get out of bed because it hurt too much. after a month of steroids, weekly blood tests, and a trip to the hospital my body finally recovered. I'm sure my experience was extremely unusual. On a good note... the hot sauce was pretty tasty.

Looks like you got into the B.toxin.

You need to know what you are doing and pasteurize stuff like this when you make sauces and like. Just because its hot, does not mean bacteria will get to you.  

Chattanooga, TN.