Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza fail...

Options
OK, I understand failing a few times to learn, but geez.  Pizza is kicking my butt!  I've read Naked Whiz's pizza tips.  I keep getting the top done before the crust.  What the heck am I doing wrong?  Should I bake the crust for a while then throw on the toppings?
When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Are your toppings burning? You can let it ride for quite a while after they start to brown just a bit. I cooked pretty thinly rolled crusts at 550 for 15 minutes and the crusts were done Witt the toppings and cheese browning nicely. But not burning.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What is your egg setup? What temp? What kind of dough? What toppings? 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• onesaxplayer
    Options
    My crusts aren't super thin, but they're not Chicago thick either.  I have the stone on some bricks to raise it in the dome.  Cheese burnt to a crisp hit crust still doughy...
    When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Do you have a platesetter or some other indirect arrangement? You need air space betreen the platesetter and the pizza stone. 500° is good. Here's mine...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    What temp are you cooking at?
  • onesaxplayer
    Options
    I have plate setter, legs down, bricks, stone.  Yeastless dough.  400* for 20 minutes.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I know I'm in the minority here but I just do a raised grate with the stone on the grate. Get it up to 550 for 25 min and I'm good. Pizza cooks in 10 min. I went thru the same problems you did and I got frustrated and had to try something else.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I have plate setter, legs down, bricks, stone.  Yeastless dough.  400* for 20 minutes.
    I don't know anything about yeastless dough. Never tried it. I go 500° for 8-10 minutes, using the setup pictured above and I get this. Every time.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    @CarolinaQ, that is a sweet setup

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Aviator, thanks. Works for me. :)

Onesax, here's a VERY bad pic of the bottom of that NY pie...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @Carolina Q okay I'm convinced. I'll try your way again. No promises though
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I'll play, yesterday's lunch pie using C q method. Didn't pass 500 deg

imageimage
    Seattle, WA
  • onesaxplayer
    Options
    OK... I have come up with some thoughts from today's failure and subsequent forum thread.  Preheating seems to be a key. I was just letting the egg get to temp and throwing the pie on.  Secondly, airflow under the stone is important
      I had too many bricks in the egg because I thought I just needed to jack the stone up, I wasn't aware of the airflow need.  Thanks so much to everyone for the suggestions and picture examples.  

One more thing, CarolinaQ, where did you get those little brick pieces or pieces of Terra cotta to put your stone on?
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    OK... I have come up with some thoughts from today's failure and subsequent forum thread.  Preheating seems to be a key. I was just letting the egg get to temp and throwing the pie on.  Secondly, airflow under the stone is important
      I had too many bricks in the egg because I thought I just needed to jack the stone up, I wasn't aware of the airflow need.  Thanks so much to everyone for the suggestions and picture examples.  

One more thing, CarolinaQ, where did you get those little brick pieces or pieces of Terra cotta to put your stone on?
    Yes, preheating is a given. Get the egg to 500-ish and leave it there for 30 mins or so. If you have an IR thermometer, check the stone temp with that. If not, just let it go for a while before you put the pie on the stone. 

I use the mini woo on top of those terracotta flower pot feet (any garden center - I think mine came from Lowe's). You can also use the 3 green feet that used to come with eggs. I know others who set the pizza stone on top of two bricks turned on edge. My spacing is about 4".

Good luck!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• onesaxplayer
    Options
    I decided to give it a go.  If it turns out well there will be pics.  Thanks to all who answered my cry for help and knowledge yesterday!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Without the egg "REALLY" being stabilized at 500 or 550 degrees makes cooking anything correctly that cooks fast like pizza.  Without being stabilized the actual egg temperature is probably much lower than 500 degrees for ten to twenty minutes after you close the dome after loading the pizza on the stone??  When stabilized, the entire mass of the egg is working to hold or RETURN that 500 or 550 degree interior egg heat.  
  • onesaxplayer
    Options
    Room for improvement, but tons of improvement made too.  Thanks, everyone who gave tips and suggestions!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You listen to Q. He immigrated from Naples seven months ago

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    You listen to Q. He immigrated from Naples seven months ago
    I don't think they know who Q is. He's pretty new here.  :D I have it on good authority that he's never been to Naples.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• onesaxplayer
    Options
    Q definitely got me on the right track.  Thought I detected an Italian accent in his typing. Could change his handle to Italiana Q.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    setup is much better. You are off and running now.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX