Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crossing Fingers...

Options
Elde
Elde Posts: 148
Well, the new seal is on and now we wait 24 hours with the dome on, tomorrow I put the band on...  and then as soon as the weather cooperates (I do not have a covered area to grill), I fire 'er up and give it try.  There's a small gap (1/16-1/8) between the ends of the new seal, hopefully that doesn't muck things up too bad - suggestions for closing it?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I had that happen once and I just cut a small piece and glued it in the gap. I bet it's not that big of a deal
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

I had that happen once and I just cut a small piece and glued it in the garage ap. I bet it's not that big of a deal

Yeah but you almost burnt your house down...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What kind of gasket? What adhesive? You may be able to close the gap with the adhesive you used. Though with a gap that small, I don't think it'll matter much.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    henapple said:
    I had that happen once and I just cut a small piece and glued it in the garage ap. I bet it's not that big of a deal
    Yeah but you almost burnt your house down...
    different gasket..........
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Elde
    Options
    What kind of gasket? What adhesive? You may be able to close the gap with the adhesive you used. Though with a gap that small, I don't think it'll matter much.
    High heat gasket from the Mothership, 3M '77 spray adhesive.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    try a bead of silicon caulk that would close it and be heat resistant up to 700 or so, as good as the nomex gasket anyway.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Elde said:
    High heat gasket from the Mothership, 3M '77 spray adhesive.
    That would really, REALLY annoy me if I bought a gasket from BGE and found it was too short!!

You can buy a tube of Permatex Ultracopper from any hardware or auto parts store and squeeze a little into the gap. People make entire gaskets out of the stuff. As I said earlier though, I'm not sure that small gap is going to make much difference.

Hope that gasket works for you. If it fails, buy some Rutland gasket material and use the Permatex as the adhesive. Instructions on Nakedwhiz site. Mine is 4 years old and like new.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    You could stick a cork in it, like Alton did:

(no insult intended) 
    ;)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Elde
    Options
    That would really, REALLY annoy me if I bought a gasket from BGE and found it was too short!!
    The gasket was plenty long...  the problem was operator error on the scissors when trimming the gasket after applying it.

Thanks for the advice all!