Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Owners with old Mini stand, Chimnea stand.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up about the stand. After grilling a couple of months ago, this is what I walked out to when I was ready to extinguish the fire.

Called for warranty work and they replaced the base and gave me a new stand. I just had to pay for shipping.

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I think I would have threw up when I saw that.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited June 2013
    That's not fun at all. Really glad there wasn't more damage.  I guess if it ever happens again call @shtgunal3 and he will do his best to extinguish the flames with vomit.  My vomit would have too much alcohol most evenings and would only fuel the fire.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • StoicDude
    StoicDude Posts: 80
    That's not fun at all. Really glad there wasn't more damage.  I guess if it ever happens again call @shtgunal3 and he will do his best to extinguish the flames with vomit.  My vomit would have too much alcohol most evenings and would only fuel the fire.
    I ll make sure to call you over if I need some fuel for searing. Ha!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Good PSA and good warranty service!
    Seattle, WA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    @Mickey has a mod to possibly prevent this from happening. Involves some gasket strips at the points where the legs of the stand meet the ring, covered in high temp temp. Creates a sort of air gap between the stand and the egg.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    WOW, glad the mothership is taking care of!
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited June 2013
    Wow What a horrible thing to see.
    Guess you couldn't eat after seeing that.
    Brampton, Ontario

• StoicDude
    StoicDude Posts: 80
    caliking said:
    @Mickey has a mod to possibly prevent this from happening. Involves some gasket strips at the points where the legs of the stand meet the ring, covered in high temp temp. Creates a sort of air gap between the stand and the egg.
    Thanks for that tip. My friend has a mini with the old stand and was worried. I ll tell him to put some gasket in between to see if it will help.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I got this from @Chubby about 4 years ago. It worked fine till the new stand came out. IMO now I would get the new stand or take the Mini out of the "old style" ring stand. I used HD Alum tape over felt in three places (at legs). image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Wow, that looks crazy! I always heard that could happen, but have never actually seen it. It's nuts how perfect the break was.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    NOOOOOO
    MBGE in Charleston

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I wonder if cutting through the ring in one place would allow for a little expansion, kinda like the firebox is currently notched.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.