Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Waffle House-style hashbrowns

Options
Has anyone ever done Waffle House shredded potato style hashbrowns on the Egg?

I attempted to do this last weekend with a new cast iron flat skillet I picked up at TJ Maxx (thanks to whomever mentioned they had deals on them).. My attempt didn't turn out so well though.. I was rushing it b/c it was breakfast, and I think I didn't let the skillet heat up enough before putting the potatoes on there.

Anyone have a tried and true method for this?
LBGE
MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

Does this help.  As you mentioned, high heat is  the key.

Potatoes, Hash Browns, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome

INGREDIENTS:
    1 large package of frozen hash brown potatoes
    1 chopped onion
    heavy dash of kosher salt
    heavy dash of dizzy pig raging river rub
    2-3 Tbs oil

Procedure

1. Mix it all up, get egg up to 475 - 500 degrees with grill wok on top of direct grid. . .toss hash brown repeatedly until done to taste. .

Servings: 1

Recipe Type: Side Dish

Source
    Author: Mad Max Beyond Eggdome
    Source: BGE Forum, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome, 2006/06/19

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you grate fresh potatoes, make sure you squeeze out as much water as you can.  I put them in a colander and press them with a large cooking spoon.  And like Richard said, get dat pan HOT.  Don't skimp on the oil, it transfers heat to the taters.
    Options
    Tiger has had his share of Waffle House hash browns. Maybe when he done with he's finished at Merion today he'll get on the forum and can provide a response.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Cook up some bacon first, then cook the browns in the bacon grease.  I haven't done waffle house style,but I did some fresh diced potatoes and they turned out pretty darn good.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    Options
    Q:  Do you know why the Waffle House stays open 24 hours?

A:  So they don't have to clean ...

I miss taking my out of town buddies to WH @ 3:00am when I lived 3 miles from one in my Charlotte years.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Q:  Do you know why the Waffle House stays open 24 hours?

A:  So they don't have to clean ...

I miss taking my out of town buddies to WH @ 3:00am when I lived 3 miles from one in my Charlotte years.
    @TurtleCreek.. you may have answered this in the how you picked for screen name thread but, how did you pick your screen name. Is it a reference to Turtle Creek in Dallas?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @TexanOf TheNorth   Nope, It's just my neighborhoods name here in Southern MD.  I have seen that place referenced many times when I go to enter my address into google map/directions.  I need to find a Turtle Creek t-shirt from somewhere.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Judge me if you will but I Love Waffle House. I've never had a meal even remotely close to disappointing. Meeting my folks for lunch there today (WH conveniently 1/2 way between where we live 100 miles apart)
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    You folks in Waffle House territory would do well to respect what you got.  Our Greek diners in NY are great, but there's something about WH that draws me like a moth to a flame every time I'm south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Once again inspired by the forum, I decided to cook breakfast Waffle House style on the egg.

Biscuits (Trader Joes from a can):

Bacon:

Hash Browns:

Mamaroneck
  • Mama Roneck
    Options
    Post breakfast:

Mamaroneck
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you really want restaurant style hash browns, you will probably need to buy food service pre-made. And, you may need to fry them using fairly exact procedures and timing. Lots of food service items have special additives, such as starches that almost guarantee a crisp surface, or stuff that guarantees browning.

For my homemade, I prefer using fresh grated potatoes. The flesh should be crisp when grated. I've tried parboiled, but haven't had results I liked as much.

Drying is a good idea. But really hot oil, and not putting too much in at once is necessary. I like the flavor of clarified butter, but have also had good results w. goose fat and tallow. The coat of oil should be shimmering, and a single shred of 'tater should dance on the surface as the steam pours out of it.

What works for me is placing a layer no more than 1/4" deep, a quickly dotting the top w. more butter/fat. Then put a lid on the pan for a few minutes. Flip, and finish a few more minutes w/o the lid.

• Mama Roneck
    Options
    spot on @gdenby.  I used shredded potatoes from Trader Joes and mixed some fresh onion.  Bacon grease was at about 450-500, so plenty hot, but didn't quite crisp the way I wanted because I didn't press them flat enough.  Delicious learning experience though.
    Mamaroneck
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I like home fries. Soak in water and salt the night before. Cook slow covered till tender stirring occasionally. Uncover, raise temp and cook till the edges are crispy. Throw some corn beef in and make hash. Serve with robins nest.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! I was using a fresh potato and hand shredded it. I will have to try the bacon grease method.. And major sure the skillet is hot enough beforehand.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Please don't show this thread to Nature Boy. Bad stuff is gonna happen...trust me here.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    I will ask the WF folks the next time I am in there to see if I can find out any secrets.  Probably next week.
    Milton, GA.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Don't forget to add a couple of hairs and some cigarette ash for the true awful house experience.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    If you make a hashbrown casserole the leftovers on the egg are so good. I take a 1 cup measuring cup and pack them in and drop them on a hot griddle. Cheese already mixed in but you can flip, cover with cheese and they are so good
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    I prefer either American Fried Potatoes or Country Fried to any Hashbrown. Good American or Country Fried with Onion and green Peppers brown a little and then set in a pan covered with foil at 350 for about 1 hour. Either on the egg or in the oven. You can also saute some Onion, Green Peppers, and Mushrooms sprinkled with salt, pepper and garlic powder and some nicely browned sausage about 8oz. Cheddar Cheese and a dozen eggs beaten with some water and put that on the egg also at 350 for about a hour. Complement it with Thomas English Muffins and you the hit of the family.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    "I bought a $1000 grill to replicate what I can get, slathered, scattered, peppered, topped, diced, covered, blah, blah, blah, yada yada yada."
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Best Waffle House story ever..... And only in the Tampa area... Gotta read the 3rd paragraph

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/brandon-defendant-accused-of-murdering-wifes-lover-to-testify/2123822

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    That is a very low maintenance woman! Takes er to Waffle House.