Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Talking at people about egging?

Options
2»

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Flag! Ten yards for using a Canadian expression in CT
    Well, that's better than ten metres. Where's your sense of humour?  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    The outside is all discolored from the heat, so it isn't a nice shiny unit anymore!  The problem is, it conducts too much heat through the walls and burns up all the lump -- zero insulation.  I must say, it is a converation piece for sure!!  Don't know exactly how you get it up onto a towing reciever??  I asked if this was copied from another, his son said "no"?  Heck of an investment in materials and labor for an "idea off the top of your head!".....  I will try to get a picture of it!
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I bought mine after seeing one in action while in Hilton Head. Since I bought mine two of my buddies have each bought one. My step dad and brother in law are both buying one next few days. On a MMA forum I'm on I helped convince 3-4 people to buy one who had heard about them.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    And I talk about Egging a lot at work. I also never say grilling or smoking anymore ha. Just say egging. It's become like saying to google something, regardless of what search engine you use. One of the first things I'm going to do with my mini once I get the stone is take to work and do a pork butt for them.
    Boom
  • that_dude_Dave
    Options
    My friends are all cheap bastards... no amount of me talking something up will ever convince them to drop coin. They think I'm a snob because I don't drink A-B beers except at softball, or because I ride a Triumph instead of a Harley, on and on. My tastes are simple, I only want the best.
    St. Louis Barbeque Society certified competition judge

XL and MiniMax
  • SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    Options
    And I talk about Egging a lot at work. I also never say grilling or smoking anymore ha. Just say egging. It's become like saying to google something, regardless of what search engine you use. One of the first things I'm going to do with my mini once I get the stone is take to work and do a pork butt for them.
    ^^^ and I am one of the MMA fans he is talking about! Thanks again guy!

Unfortunately, only one of my friends likes to cook/grill/BBQ. Before I got the BGE, we were chatting about it. When I told him approximately how much they were (I wasn't even sure), he said he would invest that money in building a permanent smoker/BBQ pit outside, as that's something we had talked about several times before. Sure, something like that would be cool for the aesthetics at a party, and would make some great tasting food, I decided it had nothing on the versatility and convenience of something movable like the BGE.

You can probably guess where this is going. Now he is pretty much tortured because he wants one so much. The only thing he's actually ate from it is some cold BBQ chicken pizza I made. He just realizes that the possibilities are endless. I wish I could work on some more of my friends, but like I said, none of them really appreciate good food and can't be bothered to light and cook on a grill. Especially a charcoal one. I guess I'm gonna have to settle with chatting with my online fellow cultists!
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Picture, as promised, of stainless steel cooker!!imageimage
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @charlie_tuna, paint that black and you have the Black Knight. "It's just a flesh wound."
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Never heard of a "Black Knight"??  But this thing can't hold enough lump to cook more than three hours -- no insulated sides.....
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    Two issues seem to scare people I talk to away from ownership: Time and Money.  Most people assume gassers are quicker (and easier) for grilling.  And admittedly the BGE is not cheap.  Those issues kept me away for a while.  Instead I entered the Weber camp with a Genesis gas grill and a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) smoker.  Those are two great products and I have nothing bad to say about either.  The WSM online community is very active and I learned a lot about outdoor cooking from them.  As I got better at cooking on the grill and smoker, I really wanted something that could grill on a wood fire.  Yes, the WSM can do it but not easily.  I seriously considered adding a Weber Kettle.  After a lot of research, I picked the BGE instead.

How do I talk to people about the egg?  I tell them my story.  And then I offer to cook for them. 

I still have the Weber gasser, but rarely use it except for the occasional hot dog.  My wife and I are empty nesters now and thinking about downsizing to a smaller house/yard.  I've been very clear I need a patio/yard big enough for at least one grill, and if I had to pick one it would be the BGE.   I gave the WSM to my brother to spare him the shame of the Brinkman he was using.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    2 Weekends with my Egg so far... 3 employees have ordered one already because of how good the food I keep bringing to work is!  Soon my entire dealership is going to have one.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    All my friends are too cheap as well. They can definitely afford one. But then the argument that it takes too much time to cook on it. They dont really know, all they know is that what I cook is better than anything they have ever made on any contraption. They also always seem to invite themselves over if I am cooking.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @charlietuna The good thing about that steel cooker is that it is in the front yard and closer to the curb.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Never heard of a "Black Knight"??  But this thing can't hold enough lump to cook more than three hours -- no insulated sides.....
    Get thee to You Tube and search for 'Monty Python - Black Knight', or even better just go ahead and buy 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail.'

LBGE

Pikesville, MD