Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Talking at people about egging?

I get on the forum and read everyone's posts a couple times a day. Then I find myself constantly talking about grilling with others. I would guess I'm just talking at people a good percentage of the time because nobody around here has an egg. Does this happen to all of you?

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I've sold a bunch of them, but mainly after gasser's have tasted the food.  I think there are a bunch of us on here that could have made some coin if we got commission.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • I'm bad about texting pictures of what I'm cooking/cooked to people. I'm sure they think I'm an idiot but they're bound to be jealous.

Little Rock, AR

• Deviledegger
    Deviledegger Posts: 271
    @BOWHUNR all my friends are to cheap. They just buy a $400 gasser every 3-4 years and eat food they think is good. They're lose!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Keep talking, eventually you may find someone that will join the cult and will never go back. It's a experience that most don't understand unless they have actually had charcoal cooked food. Then adding in the benefit of cooking with lump charcoal as opposed to Kingsford it's a night and day taste for those gas grillers. Trust me, I used to be one of them.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Five or six coworkers have Eggs. Half use them as a grill for burgers or steaks. A couple have embraced the experience, and when we get together we share pics of cooks.
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Funny story. I was at my dealer yesterday anda dude was debating a large vs. some 600 dollar gasser. I was listening to the dealer talk to him about lump(BGE) and he was bulking at the price and about to walk out of the door. I turned and said: "It's just Royal Oak. You can get it at Walmart or Wegmans for half the price." Dude walked out with the large. They better hook me up with a deal on a mini for that.
  • Deviledegger

Funny story. I was at my dealer yesterday anda dude was debating a large vs. some 600 dollar gasser. I was listening to the dealer talk to him about lump(BGE) and he was bulking at the price and about to walk out of the door. I turned and said: "It's just Royal Oak. You can get it at Walmart or Wegmans for half the price." Dude walked out with the large. They better hook me up with a deal on a mini for that.

You definitely deserve a deal on a mini. You can tell them I said so.... But I doubt that will get you anywhere. Lol!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    We have a small BGE cult where I work, so some people appreciate the photos of my creations. I also do some posting on FB, but a lot of those folks don't get it.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    I post something different on Facebook every Friday. It's become tradition. Everyone asks about the Egg now.. I bought because a fellow Egger kept telling me stories. I volunteer to bring the brisket or pulled pork for every office function. And I keep telling stories. I have two co-workers about to pull the trigger. I have become an evanEGGical.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    I have not had a gasser but have a weber for the last 8 years and a brinkman smoker forever before that. Buying the xl was a hard buy. Lot a $$$$$. Had good results with weber. People would talk with me about cooking, but not so much with the Egg, who would have thought of food pics and details of cook. People do not get it. The quality of food and the options of what and how to cook are endless. Funny as it may be I am thinking about another egg. And if they get to this site the wealth of info and advice is great. Thank all you for your help.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited June 2013
    I just sprung a large on my niece as a wedding present. Very uncommon in her state. She has no idea what she's in for! >:)
    Gittin' there...
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    You sir, are the greatest uncle alive!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    People are always asking me what the egg is hatching...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
     I would guess I'm just talking at people a good percentage of the time because nobody around here has an egg. Does this happen to all of you?
    I take my serious grill'n buddies to the local Eggfest every year in early May (it'a ritual now).  They love the BGE but have yet to pull the trigger.  I am just glad they appreciate it.  I send pics/talk about it to those who I think appreciate grilling ... I try not to "preach" BGE, just share good grilling and smoking stories.
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    It seems to spead like wildfire. First, it was only one guy at work that had an egg, then two, then a little while longer four guys had them. Now we are up to 14 people. We all exchange stories, and of course, photos of our cooks, and try to outdo each other on weekend cooks.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Most of my family and relitives have tasted my egged food and will ask about how it is cooked.  Many of my buddies are into BBQ and old weber kettle owners and users.  As people ask, i explain the science behind the egg, some will ask questions, most don't.  I don't harp on the idea.  I know about a half dozen guys who would REALLY enjoy owning an egg, and can well afford one!  These are guys who taught me how to use the weber kettles many years ago.  And every now and again they, or one of their family members will ask me about "the egg", and i'll tell them how much i cook on mine and how much better the food is.  If they don't pick up on it, shame on them!! 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't know anyone who cares - about grilling or even cooking. Or anyone who uses a grill very often. Or anyone who uses charcoal. Tried to give away two unopened bags of Kingsford when I got my egg. Must have asked a dozen people before I found someone who said, "I think my cousin uses charcoal."

Guy at work asked me how to cook a butt. I told him and gave him my rub recipe. He cooked it in his oven, said it was great! Later, thinking he would be interested, I emailed him what I thought was a particularly good recipe/method for marinating and cooking a London broil. He laughed at me. As if, "Why would you think I would care?"

As for Eggcelsior's dealer story, I went to my dealer once. To pick up the egg I had arranged for via email. There were no customers. I've never been back. To him or any other dealer. 

I never talk to anyone about grilling. Except on the forums. No one else cares.

Sad, eh?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I talk about egging all the time. Some times very demonstratively, some times matter of factly. I do take pics, and share them with a couple of buds, who don't have eggs, but like food (a lot :)) ). Several folks at work have eggs and we share info regularly. My dealer told me I had "turned into one of those guys" when I showed him pics of my first several cooks.
  • Deviledegger
    Thanks for the stories. I try not to bore people or preach/rub it in that my grill is better! Even though it is ( I can say that here right) lol!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Last fall my wife and I signed up for a Barrel Tour of local wineries.  # full busses, good folks, good wine, good fun.   I was introduced to an easy-going guy and the subject of BBQ and grilling came up.  I really jaw-boned him about the BGE, evidently.

Yesterday was the first Barrel Tour of the season, and we were on board.  Here's this guy and his wife and he first thing he said was, "Hey, John, you did a good job on  me; I bought a large BGE two months ago."  He just loves it and we are getting together for a joint cook the end of the month.  My first convert!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    This one friend of mine is a very longtime user of the weber kettle as well as his three sons.  All four of them would trade secrets about there cooks on the weber!!  Was visiting the family last year and his boys asked me, "we want to get our dad something for Christmas,do you have any ideas?".  Automatically, i started telling them that he would totally love an egg-etc., etc...  And they considered it, until his youngest son, a welder for a big plumbing company, decided to build his dad , a cooker out of stainless steel!!  Solid stainless steel.  it was cut from a piece of 20 inch stainless steel pipe.  It has a two inch male adaptor that fits into his truck carrier hitch.  It's diameter is about the same as a large egg, walls are 1/2" thick all the way around.  Only problem, it doesn't work like an egg!!!  It is nothing more than a grill!  Now the guy would like to get an egg, but doesn't want to hurt his son's feelings!! 
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    I had been a gasser for a very long time. I never showed any pictures of any of my cooks. After SWMBO has been after me for about ten years I finally relented and we got an egg. I always said that I didn't want to mess with charcoal and gas was so much easier and quicker. Since getting the egg and tasting a huge difference I find myself showing people pictures of my cooks and telling them how great they taste. I don't know if I have helped sell any but I know that some of them are checking it out. SWMBO says this is a cult(lol) and in a good way she is right.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    I still use my gas rig in a pinch, but my Egg gets the real work out here at home.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • I started talking to some guys at work and found out there was already a group of egg heads there.  When I mention the egg to people they fall into two groups, "What's a big green egg?", or "You have an egg?"!
    When you get to a fork in the road, pick it up, spear something with it and throw it on the grill!!!
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I just say "Move along nothing to see here" works for me.
    BGE should give a commission or something to all of us on here that get non BGE folks to buy one. I just hit my fourth friend to purchase one.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    No one has told me yet, but I am sure they grow tired of me talking about it at work.

I asked my buddy what he was doing this weekend. He said he was gonna BBQ. I laughed and said " are you grilling or bbq'ing?" He said to me you just an EGGsnob now. Lol.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I do talk a lot about egging butt those that have had my cooking always inquire what's next.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I don't know anyone who cares - about grilling or even cooking. Or anyone who uses a grill very often. Or anyone who uses charcoal. Tried to give away two unopened bags of Kingsford when I got my egg. Must have asked a dozen people before I found someone who said, "I think my cousin uses charcoal."

Guy at work asked me how to cook a butt. I told him and gave him my rub recipe. He cooked it in his oven, said it was great! Later, thinking he would be interested, I emailed him what I thought was a particularly good recipe/method for marinating and cooking a London broil. He laughed at me. As if, "Why would you think I would care?"

As for Eggcelsior's dealer story, I went to my dealer once. To pick up the egg I had arranged for via email. There were no customers. I've never been back. To him or any other dealer. 

I never talk to anyone about grilling. Except on the forums. No one else cares.

Sad, eh?
    Flag! Ten yards for using a Canadian expression in CT

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    This one friend of mine is a very longtime user of the weber kettle as well as his three sons.  All four of them would trade secrets about there cooks on the weber!!  Was visiting the family last year and his boys asked me, "we want to get our dad something for Christmas,do you have any ideas?".  Automatically, i started telling them that he would totally love an egg-etc., etc...  And they considered it, until his youngest son, a welder for a big plumbing company, decided to build his dad , a cooker out of stainless steel!!  Solid stainless steel.  it was cut from a piece of 20 inch stainless steel pipe.  It has a two inch male adaptor that fits into his truck carrier hitch.  It's diameter is about the same as a large egg, walls are 1/2" thick all the way around.  Only problem, it doesn't work like an egg!!!  It is nothing more than a grill!  Now the guy would like to get an egg, but doesn't want to hurt his son's feelings!! 
    Bet dat gets some hot on the outside

Steve 

Caledon, ON