Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bhut Jolokia (ghost peppers)

Comments

• HibbyHibby Posts: 447
    Conservative stalwart in Thornville, Ohio
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,032
    to impart a "smokey" tasted, should I roast the peppers in the egg, or boil the sauce in the egg, or forget about it??

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,285
    lower case bill from the other forum sent me a few bottles of his "Caveman, drag her by the hair" sauce with jalokias. There is a pretty humourous post about him making it. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

lower case bill from the other forum sent me a few bottles of his "Caveman, drag her by the hair" sauce with jalokias. There is a pretty humourous post about him making it. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow

That'd be great man

·
    There seems to be an error on the other forum

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,187
    Steve, if this isn't it, it's gotta be a close second!  :))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • Some of you guys must have asbestos lined a$$holes.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
    That's the one Michael. Can you see the forum now?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

That's the one Michael. Can you see the forum now?

It's working for me. Thanks guys!

·
  • michigan_jasonmichigan_jason Posts: 1,299
    I have been growing habanero and these for a while. I actually have the ghost pepper powder from fresh peppers as well. Just smelling it through the bag makes your eyes water and you choke. It is hot, but not the hottest pepper, recently there has been a much hotter pepper found. I want to say it is a scorpion of something like that, but it was like double the ghost pepper from what I remember. Literally one teaspoon of my ghost pepper powder in a giant pot of chili will make you cry. This is nothing to play with, but I love it. Some do, some don't, just be careful.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Trinidad Scorpion
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·

I have been growing habanero and these for a while. I actually have the ghost pepper powder from fresh peppers as well. Just smelling it through the bag makes your eyes water and you choke. It is hot, but not the hottest pepper, recently there has been a much hotter pepper found. I want to say it is a scorpion of something like that, but it was like double the ghost pepper from what I remember. Literally one teaspoon of my ghost pepper powder in a giant pot of chili will make you cry. This is nothing to play with, but I love it. Some do, some don't, just be careful.

Thanks man. Yea, this is not a toy. I thought these beat out the Trinidad scorpion? Those sure do look cool.

·
    I don't think they look cool :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,790
    I would try all three versions in your sauce- fresh, dried, and dried + roasted. Each one should have a distinctly different flavor. My vote would be for the dried +roasted version.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,022
    I don't think they look cool :((

·
    Hey it's stike

·
    @caliking

Yea man I'm going to do what your suggesting. I'm reading some pretty rough stuff about just breathing in the fumes.

But if I dry one I can save some seeds to plant.

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,790
    Can't wait to hear about your results. BTW, I meant 3 different versions of the sauce with fresh vs dried vs dried + roasted. The sentence kinda sounds like like I was suggesting mixing them all together.

Wear gloves or be careful about touching your junk if you don't!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • don't touch your eyes or scratch any sensitive areas after handling them! Wear gloves and double scrub your hands when done

·
    edited June 2013
    >:)
    I'm excited, cautiously excited.

Centex- is that your recipe on GE? Are you bill?

·
  • >:) I'm excited, cautiously excited. Centex- is that your recipe on GE? Are you bill?
    no idea what you are talking about????

If it's another forum, it's not me. This is all I got.

·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,611
    Excited to see the results.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
    @the cen-tex smoker
    Ha ok. There's a guy named bill on the link carolinaQ posted and his avitar is the same as your wife's.

·
  • @the cen-tex smoker Ha ok. There's a guy named bill on the link carolinaQ posted and his avitar is the same as your wife's.
    got it. Not me or her to my knowledge :)

·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,187
    lowercasebill from the other forum. no idea if he posts here or not. good guy though. :) steve knows him. Me, only thru the forum.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • BayaradBayarad Posts: 288
    Just reading this thread is making my mouth, tongue and throat paste up! How weird!
    ·
  • That is a hilarious link. Very much worth the read.

·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,522
    edited June 2013

Let me tell you another story while we are dwellin here. I bought these NagaJolokias  in Gatlinburg at the spice and pepper shop there. Dried in a small packet along with another packet of the powdered dried up stuff. Somehow they never got home when we came back. Serious. Ghost? Zombie?

Was very disappointed. I went and got some Dave's ghost pepper sauce today. Will try it out cautiously with dinnah. This aient goin anywhere. Its still in my cargo pocket. :)

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
    @aviator
    Let us know how it is. I'm hoping to make my sauce next week after we move.

·
    don't touch your eyes or scratch any sensitive areas after handling them! Wear gloves and double scrub your hands when done
    That is not gonna work. Best to just man up and pee when ya gotta

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·