Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pop's Day Paella

R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
Broke in my new 18" Pata Negra paella pan by Egging a Chicken and Linguica paella & taking it to my parents for Father's Day. It was their first taste of paella. My dad had a big second serving so I take that as a good sign :)

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Nice- I still have paella on my list... So many cooks so little time.
    Greensboro, NC
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    That looks outstanding, John. Linguica is a staple in our family.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Looks unbelievable. I need a paella pan badly. Possible to cook paella on mini for a few people?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Wow...that looks amazing!.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Chubbs said:
    Looks unbelievable. I need a paella pan badly. Possible to cook paella on mini for a few people?
    My guess is paella for 1 on a mini.  I've done paella for 4 using a 17" pan on a large Egg.  Maybe we were just pigs, lol.

The Naked Whiz
  • n2wdw
    n2wdw Posts: 47
    Looks great!  Can you share your recipe?  Did you put it all into the pan and let it go, or pre-cook some stuff and then combine into the pan (it looks like the chicken thigh was pre-cooked)? 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2013
    @n2wdw... paella is made in stages and, while not necessarily difficult, does require some skill and practice to "get it right". The chicken would be pre-cooked and, generally, the vegetables are too. These are typically added back to the paella (which is primarily a rice dish) for just the last 10-20 minutes of the cook.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    outstanding!
    n2wdw said:
    Looks great!  Can you share your recipe?  Did you put it all into the pan and let it go, or pre-cook some stuff and then combine into the pan (it looks like the chicken thigh was pre-cooked)? 
    I have an extensive web page on paella with all sorts of useful information and recipes.  To answer your question though, you typically saute the meats and vegetables in the paella pan, set them aside.  then you make the sofrito in the pan, add the rice for a while, then add the liquid, then add the meats and veggies on top.  Delicate stuff like shrimp, I tend to add just before taking the pan off the cooker so as not to overcook. It's a lot of fun and you should give it a go.  My web page has resources for pans, ingredients, etc.  Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Here's the link to TNW's paella write-up:  I follow it so I know it is practically fool-proof.  His site also is a great reference for all things ceramic.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm Great cook!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • R2Egg2Q
    billyray said:

That looks outstanding, John. Linguica is a staple in our family.

Thanks Bill! We linguica more than Spanish chorizo.
    Chubbs said:

Personally we like paella & leftover paella so much that I won't cook it unless I have a big pan. Mini would equal 1 serving size or tapas sized for big eaters.
    n2wdw said:

For the most part, the recipe is the one on the Whiz site by Norberto Jorge. I just upsize it for an 18" pan & add a little smoked Spanish paprika into the sofrito. I also roasted the peppers right on the coals and cooked the chicken raised direct.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    how much different is a wok pan from a paella pan? doable or do I need a new pan?
  • The Naked Whiz
    A paella pan should be shallow and flat bottomed.  Also, it should be made from relatively light gauge metal.  You want a wide thin layer of rice, and you want the heat to distribute evenly and quickly, and dissipate just as quickly when you remove it from the heat.  Carbon steel paella pans are surprisingly cheap, so I'd get one from one of the spanish suppliers who sell "real" paella pans.  I have a list of suppliers on my paella web page, Paella on Ceramic Cookers
    The Naked Whiz
  • R2Egg2Q
    A paella pan is considerably flatter and shallower than a wok. If you have a flat bottom wok you probably have a better chance of pulling off a paella than a round bottom. I haven't tried it in a wok but my buddy says his mom used to make paella in a wok in the Philippines. I seem to recall seeing paella done in a large CI skillet before.

Bay Area, CA
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    FWIW, I just bought a paella pan at TJMax.  They had several sizes in stock.  If you go there to look through the kitchen area, the pans have red handles, which makes them stand out a bit.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140

@bettysnephew, do you remember which sizes they have in stock?  I'm looking for an 18" pan.  Thanks.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    The other distinctive feature of a "real" paella pan is a dimpled bottom. This helps in cooking the rice. If you want or expect to add paella to your repertoire, I'd suggest getting a paella pan.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    RV10Flyer said:

@bettysnephew, do you remember which sizes they have in stock?  I'm looking for an 18" pan.  Thanks.

Yes, they did have 18" and larger or smaller.  The pan has many little dimples in the bottom, is made of fairly thin carbon steel and was made in Spain by Garcima.  Don't know if it is a good brand, but it is the only one I have seen anywhere in Iowa.  Mine is 13" diameter at the top of the pan and 11" on the bottom.  With the handles it is 18" across.  The label says it is 34cm if that helps you for shopping.  It is just the wife and I, so this should be adequate for us.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Beeeaaaauuuuutiful!! One of those shots that makes me want to eat my screen. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Garcima is a pretty popular brand. My 18" (46CM) pan is made by Garcima. I bought the restaurant grade (double thickness) Pata Negra version as I had my thin grade stainless pan warp on me during a cook (it returned to shape upon cooling). A little info for XL users considering a 20" (50 cm) Pata Negra pan, the handles on it are huge (wouldn't be able to close the dome) and probably twice as thick (and probably a real pain to try to bend upwards for clearance). It is hard to see this on the websites. Fortunately I live a mile away from hotpaella.com and was able to look at the pans in person.

Bay Area, CA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited June 2013
    going to the store in person will be my best bet too. thanks for the website.. now to figure out how to get the pan without buying too much.. that means my wife might stay at home.
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Thanks for the info bettysnephew and R2Egg2Q.  I picked up some Bomba rice from Market Street and am now looking for a pan.  Based on the info from R2Egg2Q, it sounds like a 18" pan is a good size for the XL.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• The Naked Whiz
    edited June 2013

RV10Flyer said:
    Thanks for the info bettysnephew and R2Egg2Q.  I picked up some Bomba rice from Market Street and am now looking for a pan.  Based on the info from R2Egg2Q, it sounds like a 18" pan is a good size for the XL.
    Sounds about right.  The 17" pan that I got from paellapans.com measures 21.25 inches from handle to handle.  And different makes have different handles that stick out more or less than others.  If you can measure the pan yourself, that's great.  If you can call and ask, that works too.
    The Naked Whiz
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    OMG...that looks amazing!  Outstanding job R2Egg2Q!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Looks outstanding
    LBGE, Marietta, GA