Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Failure

Had my Pops over for Father's Day and attempted a TRex on 2 good size NY Strips.  I seared them about 700 for 70 seconds a side telling myself to be patient.  Let them rest for 20 minutes and put them back on at 375 for 5 minutes a side using my Thermapen.  I was trying to pull about 130 internal.  I also had filets for mom and SWMBO (I guess that's 2 SWMBO's).  I let it go too long.  I ended up with 2 Medium Well dried out steaks. 

Often I read about failure here and people say the steaks were still good.  These were NOT.  Still sick just thinking about.  I was jumping around acting like I knew what I was doing only to have this EPIC failure.  I will rise again but had to share this painful failure.

Not sure where I went wrong.  Is it normal for the temp to accelerate really quick around 120's?
I think one lesson learned is that I was trying to do too many things at once - Salmon, Asparagus, two different types of steak.
Experience - of which I have very little - can be a painful teacher and expensive.

Any thoughts? 

Couldn't take pictures - just too ugly.

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Just my opinion, but i think "strips" will overcook faster since they usually have very little fat, and that also is a problem because it takes longer to get a good grill mark because there is little grease to flare up onto the meat.  I usually go to a rib eye and is more forgiving than a strip steak.
  • CantonDawg
    CantonDawg Posts: 36
    Just my opinion, but i think "strips" will overcook faster since they usually have very little fat, and that also is a problem because it takes longer to get a good grill mark because there is little grease to flare up onto the meat.  I usually go to a rib eye and is more forgiving than a strip steak.
    Thanks Charlie - I have two more strips.  I will try rib eye next time. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Sorry to read about your failure @CantonDawg. I hope that the rest of your Father's Day went well.

The important thing is to get back up in the saddle and try again.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    How thick are the steaks? You can try reverse sear but if they are around 1 inch try hot-tubbing them and then just sear for 30-60 seconds per side.
  • CantonDawg
    Sorry to read about your failure @CantonDawg. I hope that the rest of your Father's Day went well.

The important thing is to get back up in the saddle and try again.
    It did - thanks for asking.  The important things were all great.  Its just my pride that is a bit bruised.
  • CantonDawg
    How thick are the steaks? You can try reverse sear but if they are around 1 inch try hot-tubbing them and then just sear for 30-60 seconds per side.
    There were 1.5" - good meat to ruin.

Can you give me a high level overview  on Hot tub method?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I always shoot for 1.5 inches to reverse sear, you should give that a try when you can. I find it easier than Trexing.

For the hot tub method, you can do it with a Food Saver or just a Ziploc. If Ziploc, try to get all the excess air out using a straw. Put the steaks in the bag and drop them into a sinkful of hot tap water(it is usually about 110 out of the faucet) and let them sit in there for an hour. Change the water every 15 minutes to maintain temp. The steaks will be between 80-100 degrees and only need the sear. You can also heat water on the stove to do this as well. Just use a thermometer.
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    I feel you. Steaks are the hardest thing for me to get right. I find pulling them at 115 and then reverse searing them works better with my set up. Unfortunately it can be a lot of trial and error - best to use cheaper steaks until you get it right maybe.