Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Burgers on Friday Night (With Pictures)

My wife is not a fan of ground beef something about the texture so when she's home and we all want burgers we usually end up at Whole Foods for their beef selection.

When I was there I saw the brisket flat with a good fat cap and I told her "I'm sure you'll like this"   So I told the butcher ground me up some of that and he said "Can I come home with you guys to eat this?"

I laughed but the statement after tasting them couldn't have been more true.  Anyhow, on with the pictures.   Here are some ground brisket burgers.  Each one was roughly 1/3 of a lb and rubbed down with Todd's Dirt that I got in the rub/sauce exchange.

The burgers were cooked over 425 with some hickory chunks mixed in with the lump.

I must say the organic American Cheese doesn't melt as well but it sure does taste better than the Kraft stuff.

My plated picture.   Normal toppings of ketchup and mayo.  Some cheese fries before I poured some ranch sauce to dip them in.  Along with this amazing bleu cheese potato salad from Whole Foods.  Honestly, if you are ever in Whole Foods and see this...GET IT...It's amazing

All I can say about this burger is it was simply amazing.   And I didn't even have the point involved just the flat but had a real good fat cap.  The flavor was so rich and real beefy tasting my wife even commented "I don't like burgers but this, this I could eat everyday"   

Thanks for the suggestion guys on the burgers!
Large BGE

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Looks great, got to try it!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I see you served it on your finest China. Burgers and the potato salad look great. So you just had them ground up the brisket flat? I was at the store the other day and thought long and hard about picking up a whole packer brisket to grind up for burgers, but then I remembered we need to eat some more sausage and other stuff to empty out the freezer more before I try that.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Griffin said:
    I see you served it on your finest China. Burgers and the potato salad look great. So you just had them ground up the brisket flat? I was at the store the other day and thought long and hard about picking up a whole packer brisket to grind up for burgers, but then I remembered we need to eat some more sausage and other stuff to empty out the freezer more before I try that.
    Yeah I just used the brisket flat.  That's all Whole Foods has.   The only place I can find a whole packer is at Walmart and I don't go in there often if at all.

The taste was just something indescribable!
    Large BGE

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks awesome!  I will have to give it a try.  I didn't want to admit this...but I ground up a rib-eye the other day and made burgers.  I had a couple of rib-eyes and really wanted to try the grinding attachment for the kitchen-aid.  They were pretty darn good!  

The grinder is nice...but if I can get the butcher to do it for me I might just go that route.  Much less clean up involved! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @EddieK76 - Those look great!

@Griffin - I picked up a small 6lb. grass-fed packer on Friday along with a 13lber that I did overnight Friday. The brisket turned out pretty good.

I took the entire 6lb. packer and ground it with my new L.E.M. grinder. Cooked up one patty yesterday (the rest had gone in the freezer) and, with just a little salt and pepper mixed in, it was absolutely delicious. Not sure we'll ever be making hamburgers from ordinary ground beef again!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    @EddieK76 - Those look great!

@Griffin - I picked up a small 6lb. grass-fed packer on Friday along with a 13lber that I did overnight Friday. The brisket turned out pretty good.

I took the entire 6lb. packer and ground it with my new L.E.M. grinder. Cooked up one patty yesterday (the rest had gone in the freezer) and, with just a little salt and pepper mixed in, it was absolutely delicious. Not sure we'll ever be making hamburgers from ordinary ground beef again!
    I completely agree.  I can't see me making burgers from ground beef ever again.
    Large BGE

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    So, did Whole Foods grind up what you wanted of the brisket flat, or make you buy the whole thing and grind it?
    I plan on doing burgers this week. If I can, I'll stop by Whole Foods and have them grind me up a pound or two.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• EddieK76
    Just told him I wanted about 1.5 of brisket ground up.  He had no issues doing that for me :)
    Large BGE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

I have been doing brisket burgers for a couple of years now. Just tell them you want X lbs ground from a brisket. I like to chop up red onion in it. Very good, hell it is the very best burgers.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• EddieK76
    Mickey said:

I have been doing brisket burgers for a couple of years now. Just tell them you want X lbs ground from a brisket. I like to chop up red onion in it. Very good, hell it is the very best burgers.

I believe one of your older posts was the reason for me doing this.   Simply great :)
    Large BGE

• pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93

Mickey said:

I am definitely doing this soon.
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 1
    Just grilled brisket burgers for first time last night. Got dome temp up to around 400 deg. Had a lot of smoking which assume is fat dripping on coals. When opened lid had serious flare up. How do you control the flare ups when flipping and checking burgers?