Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Father's Day Firsts

AcnAcn Posts: 365
Did a couple of things for the first time today, starting with bread of the egg. Just used the basic bread recipe from Ruhlman's "Ratio" and cooked in the Dutch oven on the egg. Here it is, ready to go on, rubbed with some olive oil and sprinkled with garlic sea salt.

Cooked with the lid on at 450 for 30 minutes, here it is when I pulled the lid:

Usually just cook for another 20 minutes, but the temp spiked. Had to cut off some burned parts, and may need to replace the Dutch oven, but it was still tasty.

Also for dinner was my first attempt at tri-tip. Rubbed it with The Rub Co. Santa Maria style, a gift from my exchange elf. image
Used the grill extender, started indirect on the top grill at about 310-325, with the lower grid on the fire ring, and my pizza stone to make it indirect.
After about 25 minutes, got an internal temp of 115, pulled the tri tip, removed the pizza stone (unfortunately now in two pieces, that'll need to be replaced) and let the heat up to about 425+, and gave the meat 1-1/2 minutes per side directly on the flame. Here it is pulled and sliced:

No plated pics, but we had the bread and beef with cheddar grits and a salad of mixed greens, mushrooms, sliced mini peppers, toasted pecans, dried cranberries and feta, with my wife's homemade vinaigrette.

Once I got done with the yard work, it was a pretty good day.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Comments