Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bhut Jolokia (ghost peppers)

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    to impart a "smokey" tasted, should I roast the peppers in the egg, or boil the sauce in the egg, or forget about it??

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    lower case bill from the other forum sent me a few bottles of his "Caveman, drag her by the hair" sauce with jalokias. There is a pretty humourous post about him making it. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurse

lower case bill from the other forum sent me a few bottles of his "Caveman, drag her by the hair" sauce with jalokias. There is a pretty humourous post about him making it. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow

That'd be great man

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    There seems to be an error on the other forum

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Steve, if this isn't it, it's gotta be a close second!  :))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Some of you guys must have asbestos lined a$$holes.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    That's the one Michael. Can you see the forum now?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurse

That's the one Michael. Can you see the forum now?

It's working for me. Thanks guys!

XLBGE 
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I have been growing habanero and these for a while. I actually have the ghost pepper powder from fresh peppers as well. Just smelling it through the bag makes your eyes water and you choke. It is hot, but not the hottest pepper, recently there has been a much hotter pepper found. I want to say it is a scorpion of something like that, but it was like double the ghost pepper from what I remember. Literally one teaspoon of my ghost pepper powder in a giant pot of chili will make you cry. This is nothing to play with, but I love it. Some do, some don't, just be careful.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Trinidad Scorpion
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • MrCookingNurse

I have been growing habanero and these for a while. I actually have the ghost pepper powder from fresh peppers as well. Just smelling it through the bag makes your eyes water and you choke. It is hot, but not the hottest pepper, recently there has been a much hotter pepper found. I want to say it is a scorpion of something like that, but it was like double the ghost pepper from what I remember. Literally one teaspoon of my ghost pepper powder in a giant pot of chili will make you cry. This is nothing to play with, but I love it. Some do, some don't, just be careful.

Thanks man. Yea, this is not a toy. I thought these beat out the Trinidad scorpion? Those sure do look cool.

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    I don't think they look cool :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I would try all three versions in your sauce- fresh, dried, and dried + roasted. Each one should have a distinctly different flavor. My vote would be for the dried +roasted version.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I don't think they look cool :((

Hey it's stike

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    @caliking

Yea man I'm going to do what your suggesting. I'm reading some pretty rough stuff about just breathing in the fumes.

But if I dry one I can save some seeds to plant.

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Can't wait to hear about your results. BTW, I meant 3 different versions of the sauce with fresh vs dried vs dried + roasted. The sentence kinda sounds like like I was suggesting mixing them all together.

Wear gloves or be careful about touching your junk if you don't!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • don't touch your eyes or scratch any sensitive areas after handling them! Wear gloves and double scrub your hands when done
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MrCookingNurse
    edited June 2013
    >:)
    I'm excited, cautiously excited.

Centex- is that your recipe on GE? Are you bill?

XLBGE 
  • >:) I'm excited, cautiously excited. Centex- is that your recipe on GE? Are you bill?
    no idea what you are talking about????

If it's another forum, it's not me. This is all I got.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Excited to see the results.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • MrCookingNurse
    @the cen-tex smoker
    Ha ok. There's a guy named bill on the link carolinaQ posted and his avitar is the same as your wife's.

XLBGE 
  • @the cen-tex smoker Ha ok. There's a guy named bill on the link carolinaQ posted and his avitar is the same as your wife's.
    got it. Not me or her to my knowledge :)

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    lowercasebill from the other forum. no idea if he posts here or not. good guy though. :) steve knows him. Me, only thru the forum.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Just reading this thread is making my mouth, tongue and throat paste up! How weird!
  • That is a hilarious link. Very much worth the read.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited June 2013

Let me tell you another story while we are dwellin here. I bought these NagaJolokias  in Gatlinburg at the spice and pepper shop there. Dried in a small packet along with another packet of the powdered dried up stuff. Somehow they never got home when we came back. Serious. Ghost? Zombie?

Was very disappointed. I went and got some Dave's ghost pepper sauce today. Will try it out cautiously with dinnah. This aient goin anywhere. Its still in my cargo pocket. :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• MrCookingNurse
    @aviator
    Let us know how it is. I'm hoping to make my sauce next week after we move.

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    don't touch your eyes or scratch any sensitive areas after handling them! Wear gloves and double scrub your hands when done
    That is not gonna work. Best to just man up and pee when ya gotta

Steve 

Caledon, ON