Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL BGE to buy or not

Options
2»

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

I know what it comes with.  I read the post.  Still high IMO, especially since it's been used and also since I'm guessing the OP doesn't need a nest since they're building an outdoor kitchen to accommodate the Egg, but that is just an assumption.  Also what is charcoal (10 lb. bag?), the ash tool, and starter cubes worth? 

Like I say, perhaps it's the location, but my neighbor just bought a brand-new XL with plate setter for substantially less.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• HawkeyeEgghead
    Options

Hate to be the voice of reason as I may be reading too much in to part of your post.  If it is the last thing you need then wait.  You will find more justifications to support buying the XL but back away from the shinny, slightly used eggs.   There will be other fests with great deals.  Want and need are hard to separate at times.  If you are building, leave space and get the XL when the timing is better.

Okay I'm sure none of the above sunk in.  Think of all the new accessories you'll need day two.  Bigger egg means more meat to eat.  Now you will have to go to a gym to rid the bubble butt to follow from all that grilling space on the XL.  It's not true, you won't love both your eggs equally, do the right thing and wait.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Love my XL but am thinking about adding a small for the cooks for just my wife and me.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I have a medium, large, and XL. The XL is my least favorite of the three when it comes to control. I like the space, that's about it. I would take two larges over the XL anyway.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your opinions.  We are currently a family of 5, with more to hopefully come along.  Also we commonly have my parents here for some of the cooks.  So that is 7.  However, if we have friends over then we are at 10+ easily.  That is when I am experiencing the need for more real estate.  I do have several toys for the Large.  and I would have said, another large if I got a second egg, but the price difference is so HUGE!  

Now, I know the difference between a NEED and a WANT.  I guess I was looking for your input on it.  
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    If you can afford it, I'd buy it tomorrow.

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    How much is a large at the fest? I would ask myself this: can you anticipate cooking something that you couldnt do with 2 larges?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt - a large at the fest is $855 - with the same package as far as goodies etc.  So the difference is $220.  See my dilemma.  I could leave space in the setup for another egg someday!  I know that the is logical thing to do.  I can go to another fest and get a demo egg,

I like demo eggs because A they are set up for you, and I nor DH are handy people, and B I don't have to worry about the gasket.   

Thanks for everyone's input.  I have lots of decisions to make this week that unfortunately are egg related but not BGE. We are at the end of our 3rd infertility treatment and it is kind of at the point that it;s gonna be balls to the walls, or just take my ball and go home.   I will see if there is any left for purchase after some hard decisions this coming week.  
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options

Lizzie, Sorry for your issues, please don't take this the wrong way but maybe you are trying too hard ! I have known a couple of couple who went through what you are going through and when they basicly gave up , they got pregnant. I told them they had been trying too hard, both have multiple children now.Hope it turns out for you !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    Sounds like you have eggs on your mind.