Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Last Nights Dinner - Fajitas!

So I went and picked up the stuff to make Fajitas!  First I grill the peppers whole and cut the spanish onions into 1 inch or so slices.  I grill them until they are good and charred.  About 400-450 direct.  I pull them when they look good and put them in a brown paper bag.  I crimp it and let it steam cook the rest of the way in the bag for about 10-15 minutes or so.  When I pull them out of the bag I let them cool another few minutes until I can handle them with my hands and not get burned.

Nice thing about grilled veggies is unlike meat you can cook them early on and I cover them with foil and let them sit until time to eat.  So before dinner all I had to do was prep the meat.  So here it goes!  Fajitas rub.  I usually like to do these hot and fast, but I was running out of charcoal so they really went direct around 350.  This is easy and one my summertime favorite cooks.  Its feeds a lot of people, too!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

·

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    Looks great @fiver29. The only thing your missing now is the proper CI server skillets!  ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    That looks tasty. I haven't tried fajitas yet but it is on the ToDo list.

North Texas

XL BGE

·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,522

Looks absolutely super. Love me some fajitas.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,522
    edited June 2013
    @bonemuse, how is this off topic. If you did it accidentally, at least get back in here and say so. [-X

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,132
    Yum!  If available in your area, try grilling green chile peppers too.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • fiver29fiver29 Posts: 484
    @botch if they are I know where I could get some.  When are they in season?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

·
  • freedog74freedog74 Posts: 62
    I did chicken fajitas tonight as well and I have to say this was the best fajitas I have ever had!
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,777
    Now I'm hungry!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,719
    Man that looks good. I love fajitas. Nicely done.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,132
    fiver29 said:
    @botch if they are I know where I could get some.  When are they in season?
    They're usually harvested end of August, although I can get them year-round in the utard groceries here.  I normally hit a place in Salt Lake City and the end of summer and buy a bushel, roasted on the spot, and stock my freezer.  (lived in Albuquerque for 5 years, that's where this german/norwegian got hooked on green chile)

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·