Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

New meat thermometer

Hey guys, smoking some boneless butts about 6lb each and after 4 hours it was saying the meat was in the 180s. I took the thermometer out of the meat and put it in some boiling water and it was reading 220+ degrees, so I am no longer in the trust tree with this thermometer, was is a good meat thermometer to look in to? I have a thermapen but would rather have one that stays in the meat. Thank you for the suggestions

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,347
    Thermoworks TW8060.  You can calibrate most cheap analog meat thermometers by rotating the nut around the stem.  Or mathematically subtract the difference between actual and the reading when you put it in boiling water.

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,116
    edited June 2013

Calibrate your current thermo-should be a nut on the back, get a reference temp (boiling water) and dial it in.  For low&slows instant read is way over-rated-the rate of temperature change is manageable by about any thermo.  You just have to have indications you can trust-regardless of the cook.  FWIW-

(And I apologize for failing to digest nola's post first...)

Louisville
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,260

@louscap. I agree.  Thermapen is much more important for spatchcocking whole chicken or searing nice thick steaks.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon