Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ GURU & MAVERICK ET-732

Options
I have a BBQ GURU but I'm debating on adding the MAVERICK ET-732 to my cooking arsenal. How many of you have both of these gadgets? I know the GURU can be used like the Maverick without the wireless remote. Should I spend the money on the Maverick? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
L-BGE | Westminster, MD

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I had the Maverick before i bought my DigiQ, plus i had a few other wireless monitors before the Maverick.  I had "big time" probe problems with all the wireless units, until i learnt to wrap them in foil and keep them out of the high heat areas of the egg.  After getting the DigiQ, i have never used the Maverick again.  When i need to continuously need to monitor something, i use the DigiQ just for the one purpose, no fan.  You should be able to do the same thing?   
  • frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Options
    Yah that's what I was thinking too. Seemed like a good price but I'll pass for now and save for an AR
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Save your money on the maverick. I've gone through more probes than I can count. If you have a way to remotely monitor temp, stick with that.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Centex had a post awhile back on trusting the egg. Haven't used the maverick since. Great idea... POS probes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I gave my thermos to my neighbor today so he could sweat over his first cook. I have a brisket and ribs on and I have no idea what the temps are. I just don't understand how people cook without knowing exact temps :)). Maybe I'll be ok.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX