Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoking - time sensitive

Options
RGBHV
RGBHV Posts: 1,318
I've never done it before and have been preparing to cold smoke some cheese. I hope to do it a little later today. 

All of the pics I've seen show the cheese higher up into the dome. Does it have to be located higher up in the dome or can I take out the fire ring, place a 3 tier stacker with the bottom tray being for ice? 

Michael

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Higher in the dome is hotter.  Put it where it's coolest.
    Options
    The smoke permeates everything...no worries there.
    How hot is it where you live? Might be best to do it at night once it's cooled off. Of course, I live in tx where cheese would melt like butter outside today (98 degrees at the moment).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I've been "nyah nyah nyah-ing" all my Minnesota and Wisconsin buddies for their unusually cold winter and our unusually warm one for the past 6 months.  Suddenly the tide has changed.  I run from the house to the shop.
    Options
    It's about 78 in the GWN (Mississauga) - I thought about waiting until sundown, but figured with the ice and just smoke, that the temp in the egg wouldn't get too high. (mid eighties?)

I'm starting to get antsy now. I've had all day to think about this. Cleaned the Egg, cleaned the stacker, prepared the cheese.

I guess that's why it's an eggsperiment for me - I've never done it before.

Do you think I should hold off until sundown?

Michael
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Heck, it ain't gonna get below 70 where I live for about 3 months.  With ice, I think you're good.  You just don't want the cheese to melt.
    Options
    I find by just lighting a small fire i get all the smoke penetration I want. I dont do cheese but I do do nuts, salmon, any fish really. Another option that I resorted to when I lived somewhere hot was to use a soldering iron and a tin or aluminium can with chips in it. I still did it on the egg as its easier than throwing together another option.
    HFX NS
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    RGBHV said:
    It's about 78 in the GWN (Mississauga) - I thought about waiting until sundown, but figured with the ice and just smoke, that the temp in the egg wouldn't get too high. (mid eighties?)

I'm starting to get antsy now. I've had all day to think about this. Cleaned the Egg, cleaned the stacker, prepared the cheese.

I guess that's why it's an eggsperiment for me - I've never done it before.

Do you think I should hold off until sundown?

Michael
    Go for it, Michael.......just keep the egg out of the sun!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I think it was 78 here once :(
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Girl_on_Grill
    Options
    I can't wait to hear about the results!
  • RGBHV
    Options
    I was planning on using a soldering iron in a tin can filled with wood chips.  I have a single hole in the side of the can for the soldering iron and no top on the can.

But, I'm not getting any smoke.

The soldering iron is on - do I need a bunch of holes in the can to promote airflow?

Michael
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    nope it just takes forever and its not a "ton" of smoke but its enough. It can take over an hour.You could also try lighting a small fire in an aluminium throw away sheet and throw your wood on that to give you your smoke.
    HFX NS
  • RGBHV
    Options
    If I take the daisy wheel off, I can see smoke around the cheese.  I feel like the entire dome should be filled.

• RGBHV
    Options
    Gave up on the soldering iron, switched to some hotel coals with wood chips. Made 4 batches - apple, cherry, pecan, sugar maple.  All the cheeses were wrapped and are mellowing in the fridge. I'll find out how it worked in a few weeks.