Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How old were YOU when you...

Comments

• sarivers
    sarivers Posts: 67
    59. I have been cooking on natural gas for many years. My grills have been connected to my house gas and I never had to fill a gas tank. I thought that was great but I had been getting more and more dissatisfied with what I was cooking and decided to get an egg about 3 months ago.  Sorry I did not do it 10 years ago. 
    Columbia, SC

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    35 went to buy a gasp, pellet grill... The guy said have you looked at a BGE, I had seen one before and gave the thing away it was left at a house! I thought it looked like to much work!

I went home from the store and did a web search, got the wife in the car and went back to the store and got my xl.

Working on getting a small next.
    Lynnwood WA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    47 - Actually, SWMBO wanted one.  I started reading the forum and I was completely on board. The day we got our new BGE, I put three of our old grills/smokers on craigs list.  I still have a gasser, but I haven't used it since the dark ages.
    58, went through a couple of weber kettles and 2 or 3 gassers all the time saying I couldn't spend that much for an egg but looking at them all the time, man I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    41, got tired of everyone ranting and raving about the damn things... Sure glad I did :D
  • 34. Sold my truck to get the egg. Haha
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    50th B-day present. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I had been a briquette-jockey for many years.  Converted to gassing at age 40.  At retirement, time was no longer a concern, back to briquettes.  I had gotten interested in the BGE, but kind of dragged my feet at the price.

Finally, three years ago, for my 70th birthday (6/19 [no gifts, please]), my wife said enough and bought my large.  I was soooooo happy, but she also benefitted from many good cooks.  She's the best!

:x
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • I was 29 when I got the XL (best gift from dad ever). I have had my eye one getting an Egg since is was around 21 or 22 and saw it in a Steve Raichlen BBQ book.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    34. I had to pass it up 3 years earlier when my wife insisted on a gas grill when we bought our house in the winter. That summer I bought and returned a pellet smoker and then bought a drum smoker. I still wanted more charcoal flexibility and finally bought the egg.
  • newby84
    newby84 Posts: 133
    28, had a pizza on one about 6 months prior and knew I had to get one.
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    50 yrs. old when I bought the first large 3 years ago.. Was talking to a buddy about having to rebuild the old gasser, again. Told me I should buy a BGE. Said best food he ever ate came off one. Put the study on it for about a year and once i tasted food at a demo, bought it that day. Another large and a MINI later here I am.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    29. Father's day gift last year. Cooked on my dad's for 2 years prior.
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    42, well technically I was 41.  Came home from work one day about a week before my birthday and my wife and kids had one set up on the back deck with a bow around it (I'd been dropping hints for a couple of years).  That was less than a month ago.  I rolled out the 12 year old Weber kettle to the street the next day.  Been lovin' the Egg!
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Diptip
    Diptip Posts: 45
    I was 84, and had just gotten out of a Mexican prison after serving 6 months for starting a fight in a brothel in Piedras Negras.  After crossing the border at Eagle Pass, I saw a liquor store that was also a BGE dealer.  After drinking a fifth of tequila reposado,  I went in and bought a large.  The rest is history.
    Now that he is gone it it obvious you really do admire stike's sense of humour. Anything else you plan to rehash?
    In an idiots head.
  • Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    54, looked and wanted one for probably 10 years, can't remember where and how I got the bug. Last year got some overtime and saved up. Bought XL, still had problem letting go of the cash.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited June 2013
    Diptip said:
    Now that he is gone it it obvious you really do admire stike's sense of humour. Anything else you plan to rehash?
    Welcome back, Stike.  I wasn't aware you were in a Mexican prison.  I hear they are very harsh on your type of person.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    I think they call that "ad hominem"  ;)  I'll just relegate myself to spectator status now.
    edited June 2013
    I think they call that "ad hominem"  ;)  I'll just relegate myself to spectator status now.
    Nola.  Stike aka Diptip aka Focker has a history of harassment.  Stike was banned for harassing (not me), and he is known for having many user ids. If any of his personae ever posted a cook that they had done, they might not be considered trolls.

95% of the people on this forum are here to show their cooks, help other people, and have a few laughs.  Some few are here to harass and cause conflict.  I invite you to look at Dipshit's comment history ... 14 posts with no cooks and the last 6 or so were to harass me.  I will not respond to this guy again and I hope you understand my initial jab at him.  He got my dander up, which was his intention, but that will not happen again.  Fold your lawn chair, Diptip.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    25. Glad to join the cult early in life to enjoy many many years of bliss.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • nolaegghead
    BigGreenDave did post at least one cook.  "Tree Rat and Fancy Wine".  So if you treat the multiple personality disorder as a single person or as multiple persons, I guess it's a question for the DSM-IV.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/858629/bge-tree-rat-and-fancy-wine/p1
  • I grew up with gassers, but always liked charcoal better. When my first wife & I bought our first house, I bought a gasser (weekdays) and a Weber kettle (weekends). I was 30. I heard about the egg, read about them and after pricing them, I relegated the idea of owning one to "someday". One day last summer was "someday". I saw a large on CL for a decent price and we bought it. I was 47. I have since sold it & bought an XL, a small & a mini. I guess I really like Kool-Aid.
    Flint, Michigan
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    I am 63 and got mine about 3 months ago. SWMBO was after me for ten years to get one and now I wish I had listened to her then. Every cook taste so much better then the gasser and I am glad she doesn't tell me "I told you so".
    Gulf Coast FL
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    34. A few years back. My wife bought it for me as a surprise. I bought my second one less than a year later.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    I was 32 when I got my first and only so far :( 
    HFX NS
  • 41 and I have been looking for about 10 years but just wouldn't spend the money. I finally bought one on a whim and I love it.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Been cooking on my brothers since 25. Got my first at 28. Now have a large and mini.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Diptip
    Diptip Posts: 45
    Nola.  Stike aka Diptip aka Focker has a history of harassment.  Stike was banned for harassing (not me), and he is known for having many user ids. If any of his personae ever posted a cook that they had done, they might not be considered trolls.

95% of the people on this forum are here to show their cooks, help other people, and have a few laughs.  Some few are here to harass and cause conflict.  I invite you to look at Dipshit's comment history ... 14 posts with no cooks and the last 6 or so were to harass me.  I will not respond to this guy again and I hope you understand my initial jab at him.  He got my dander up, which was his intention, but that will not happen again.  Fold your lawn chair, Diptip.
    Typical of your MO, wait until threads get so bad they are deleted and change history. Then post some out right lies and folks that have not been around only have your word to go on, but that makes you feel good so I am just helping you feel good.

I was just pointing out that your latest attempt at humour was stale. Sorry to ruffle your feathers.
    In an idiots head.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    37. Christmas gift from my wife.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Clones
    Clones Posts: 8
    40. Wanted 1 for nearly 10 years but could never justify the cost till I got it. Boy did I miss alot of time!