Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some brisket help!!!

I put my 12lb brisket on last night at 7pm. My dome temp was 275. this morning my dome temp was 250 and internal meet temp was 175 in the flat. All of these hours later my grill temp is at 275 but my meat temp will not get above 181. Im getting worried cause the meat is starting to look dry. Help!!!
Go Gamecocks!!!
1 XL, 1 MM
Smoking in Aiken South Carolina

Comments

• Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    somebody? Anybody? Help???
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I am by no means a brisket expert as I am doin my first one today but it sounds like you hit the "stall" Mine hit it a 170 about 1hr ago and just now bumped to 172. According to the experts here you want your brisket to look like a meteorite when it is done.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    What is your dome temp now?  Sounds like your coming out of the stall period which can take some time.  Don't panic, it will take a long time to get to 200 or so.  
  • Gamecockeggman
    dome temp is at 400. grill temp is 275.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • yellowdogbbq
    400 is really high unless your trying a turbo method.  Get your dome down under 300 and be patient, it takes time to get through the stall and then finish to 200-205.  The outside of the briskets will look pretty tough (meteorite like) but the inside will be fine.  Hopefully Cen-Tex will be along to further assist.
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    dome temp is at 400. grill temp is 275.
    I think one of your thermometers is wrong.  I've never seen them that far apart.  Maybe 300 Dome, 275 grill?
  • yellowdogbbq
    Good point @aem, did you calibrate your dome thermometer recently?
  • Gamecockeggman
    i have drip pans in with a lot of liquid so i am thinking that is why they are so off but i could be dead wrong. its a brand new bge thermometer that i just got today for fathers day
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • Gamecockeggman
    no i haven
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • yellowdogbbq
    Stick it in a pan of boiling water and adjust it if needed, nut on the back with a wrench, if you just added the water that will drop the temp @ the grid unless you heated it up first. 
  • Gamecockeggman
    thank you all very much!!! I will send pics once done. how long do you recomend letting it rest in a cooler?
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • yellowdogbbq
    At least 1 hour, have fun and good luck!
  • Sorry- just saw this. 400 is really high and will scorch the crust. If left there too long. You are really close and they are supposed to kind of look like a meteorite when they are done. You are really close and sounds like to cook was controlled properly for most of it. I think you are good and close to being done. Keep us posted and we'll walk you through. I have one on now and my neighbor has one on for his first cook ever! It's a brisket-y kind of day for centex.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Also, if you put your digital thermo too close or touching the brisket on the grate, you will get low readings. My guess is both your thermos are close but your placement of the digital is off.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    edited June 2013
    I keep my dome at 250-280 throughout, you are likely caught in the stall and the only way to get around it is to have a beer or three and relax. It's called low and slow for a reason, if you rush it or get too hot you will be disappointed. 

re reading if you got the thermometer today did you calibrate it with boiling water? If not you could be getting bad readings. Calibrating is easy if you havent done it before 
    HFX NS
  • Gamecockeggman
    Pulled it at 200 and ftc for about 2.5 hours. it was. eru tasty but a little dry. oh well it was only my second time atempting brisket. I will hope for the best and expect the worse and never be disappointed. I have learned alot and will aply it for the next one. Thanks to all!!! Happy Fathers Day!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM