Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Beef Ribs - Total failure haha

So I learned a great thing to NOT do yesterday.... As the kids would say: Epic Fail

I made some fantastic looking Beef ribs on the egg, pulled off a 200 fire after about 4 hours and they were perfect and juicy.

I have been looking at a bunch of stuff recently on making brisket and the FTC method.

You see where this is going?

Basically I FTC-ed (Actually FTM, Foil, Towel, Microwave) the ribs for almost two hours while I did a stand up chicken and some potatoes.  

Yep, not a good idea.  The ribs were so dried out and over done, inedible.  Tragedy.  

At least the chicken was amazing.... Unhappy wife and guests though.  Hahaha
·

Comments

• I appreciate you posting a cooking disaster.  I learn as much - if not more - from my mistakes as I do from my victories.

In the spirit of learning, I'm wondering if the FT[M] method was really the culprit here.  I can't imagine that FT[M]ing would make them tougher (tends to make things softer, in my experience - softens bark, makes ribs "mushier," etc.) or drier (capturing and trapping the moisture is supposed to be what FT[M]ing is for).  

Maybe they actually needed more heat and time on the fire?  I generally make ribs hotter than 200* grid.  Did they pass the bend test?  Underdone ribs might look tasty but end up way too firm.  Then again, I've only ever Egged pork ribs, so I could be way off.  Just spitballin'.  Maybe some vets have better insight for ya. 

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    4 hrs. at 200 doesn't sound right to me either (fwiw)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

sounds low and short to me

·
  • Small mistake in post, actually more like 250-75.  Done it before with great results.  
    Coming out of the foil they were like as if I'd left them in an oven for hours.  Completely dried out almost to the point of beef jerky.  Definitely didn't look that way when I put them in the foil.  

·
  • rtt121rtt121 Posts: 644
    Was your microwave set to convection and did you turn it on?
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,522
    rtt121 said:
    Was your microwave set to convection and did you turn it on?
    Exactly, or did you nuke it for two hours?
    X_X

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    Beef ribs are difficult to do in any oven.  They are much better when braised.  After you smoke them you are left with dust.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,286
    Beef ribs are difficult to do in any oven.  They are much better when braised.  After you smoke them you are left with dust.
    There are several kinds of beef ribs. Short ribs (chuck) are best braised, but beef back ribs are best smoked.  I have smoked many a rack of beef back ribs (loin) and they are a  favorite at our house.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,520
    edited June 2013

I think they are awesome just smoked. No dust here: image

·
  • I do like short ribs braised but these big chuck ribs are a staple of the TX BBQ scene. They are the same rib as short ribs, just left long. Like a giant meat-cicle. They are juicy meaty and delicious- nothing but salt pepper and smoke.

·
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,067
    I have a rack of beef ribs in my fridge right now.  covered w applesauce and course ground mustard.  Ready to put on soon.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·