Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of Doing First Reverse Sear - Questions

Options
mb99zz
mb99zz Posts: 183
This will be my first reverse sear.  I just want to check the setup logic.  I have an AR.  I was thinking of doing the first portion of the cook with the AR in the egg with the stone on the bottom for indirect.  Then when the temps are right, I was thinking to completely room the AR and put in the standard BGE grid for the direct sear.  I would also open my vents more to increase the temp.  Does this sound right?  

Comments

• cheech5001
    cheech5001 Posts: 102
    Options
    I do not have an AR, but I will tell you how I do it and you can "translate".

For the initial portion, I do not go indirect, but do use a raised grid at around 225-250 grid temp.  I don't see any harm in going indirect at all, but I don't think it is necessary if you go raised at these low temps.

When I am 10-15 degrees below target done temp, I pull the product and the raised grid- heat to lava stage by opening the bottom vent wide and removing the daisy alltogether for 10 minutes, then sear on my standard BGE grate.

If I had a spider and a CI grate to go with it that would be even better I'm sure, but this setup works well enough!

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    @cheech5001.... looks fantastic. Next time you do those I could make some time to come over and actually sample the results. That would allow be to post a completely unbiased review for others to enjoy!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @texanofthenorth - I just finished reading @littlesteven post about a GTA eggfest at his place in August- maybe if it all comes together you can sample this cook there!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @texanofthenorth - I just finished reading @littlesteven post about a GTA eggfest at his place in August- maybe if it all comes together you can sample this cook there!
    If he stays with the 3rd weekend in August then we're in! My wife is already talking about how much fun it will be to set up our tent and spend the night (although I told her I was more hoping for a spot in a guest bedroom).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    mb99zz said:
    This will be my first reverse sear.  I just want to check the setup logic.  I have an AR.  I was thinking of doing the first portion of the cook with the AR in the egg with the stone on the bottom for indirect.  Then when the temps are right, I was thinking to completely room the AR and put in the standard BGE grid for the direct sear.  I would also open my vents more to increase the temp.  Does this sound right?  

I have an AR, and I leave the standard egg grid in, put the AR on top, and reverse sear indirect, like you. When you take the AR out, the grid is already hot, and just gets hotter as you open the vents in prep for the sear. I really like the reverse sear. Did a standing rib roast for wifey's bday that was awesome. imageimage
  • Learning to Smoke
    Options
    Fat fingered the last post. How to edit????
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Options
    Thanks! On the upperright portion if your post there should be a little green wheel or sprocket looking thing. Click in that to edit.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    You only have 1 hour after posting something to perform an edit. After an hour you are SOL!