Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Nights Dinner - Fajitas!

Options
So I went and picked up the stuff to make Fajitas!  First I grill the peppers whole and cut the spanish onions into 1 inch or so slices.  I grill them until they are good and charred.  About 400-450 direct.  I pull them when they look good and put them in a brown paper bag.  I crimp it and let it steam cook the rest of the way in the bag for about 10-15 minutes or so.  When I pull them out of the bag I let them cool another few minutes until I can handle them with my hands and not get burned.

Nice thing about grilled veggies is unlike meat you can cook them early on and I cover them with foil and let them sit until time to eat.  So before dinner all I had to do was prep the meat.  So here it goes!  Fajitas rub.  I usually like to do these hot and fast, but I was running out of charcoal so they really went direct around 350.  This is easy and one my summertime favorite cooks.  Its feeds a lot of people, too!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looks great @fiver29. The only thing your missing now is the proper CI server skillets!  ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    That looks tasty. I haven't tried fajitas yet but it is on the ToDo list.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Looks absolutely super. Love me some fajitas.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited June 2013
    Options
    @bonemuse, how is this off topic. If you did it accidentally, at least get back in here and say so. [-X

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Yum!  If available in your area, try grilling green chile peppers too.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    @botch if they are I know where I could get some.  When are they in season?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• freedog74
    freedog74 Posts: 63
    Options
    I did chicken fajitas tonight as well and I have to say this was the best fajitas I have ever had!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Now I'm hungry!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Man that looks good. I love fajitas. Nicely done.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    fiver29 said:
    @botch if they are I know where I could get some.  When are they in season?
    They're usually harvested end of August, although I can get them year-round in the utard groceries here.  I normally hit a place in Salt Lake City and the end of summer and buy a bushel, roasted on the spot, and stock my freezer.  (lived in Albuquerque for 5 years, that's where this german/norwegian got hooked on green chile)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.