Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

1st packer looking a Lil dry...

LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 745
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
1st 12#er went on @ 10:00 last night. Neighbor bought it and rubbed it, then he brought over and it got rubbed w all the Butt Rubb that I had.
image.jpg 2.6M
·

Comments

• LowflyerLowflyer Posts: 745
    12hrs later:
    image.jpg 2.3M
    ·
    No mist, spray, or anything. Looking a lil flakey, bout to FTC.... Results will be known in about 5hrs. Fingers crossed.
    ·
  • you are cooking too hot. it's getting burned on the edges. wrap it if you need too or drop the temp. The bark has set so you can wrap in paper or even foil to finish it up. 

·
    I fell out at 2am last night and I was at 230ish temp, woke up at 7 and was at 170ish, opened up the vents a lil and climbed to 300 at 12hrs later. Shut down the bottom vent and about to FTC.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,376
    edited June 2013
    Looks normal to me. The one I did with butt rub looked like that. The one with grand champion looked shiny, but I think that's because of the sugar content.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
    I think the ends hung over the platesetter and got crispy.
    ·
  • that bark will soften up for the FTC. Mine look like meteorites when I pull them off. I think you are good- looks like the skinniest part of the flat is a little scorched but the rest looks good to me. That's the last part I would eat anyway

·
    edited June 2013
    I read on Playing w Fire and Smoke to leave the sugar (apple juice, etc ) out of it. I'm used to spraying butts and seeing the moisture.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,376
    Lowflyer said:

I read on Playing w Fire and Smoke to leave the sugar (apple juice, etc ) out of it. I'm used to spraying butts and seeing the moisture.

Yeah, it's an acquired taste on brisket and definitely isn't for everyone.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
    I'm pulling it off now. Stay tuned for the end results.
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,425
    edited June 2013
    once you dig into the point, you'll see you done good. What's your internal temp?

·
    At 12hrs I was getting different reads at 185-195. I shut the bottom vent and let it sit for an hour. Just pulled it, poured some drippings over it and FTC'd it.
    image.jpg 2.8M
    ·
    Should I separate the point and attempt burnt ends simmering in sauce, or just leave it be.
    ·
  • 185 is normally not ready. unless it was really tender, I would let it go longer. you can do burnt ends if you want. I don't do them but they are really good.

·
  • it looks really good to me. You did it right. Just make sure you get your temp right before pulling. 

·

it looks really good to me. You did it right. Just make sure you get your temp right before pulling. 

Thank you sir!

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,258
    Lowflyer said:
    it looks really good to me. You did it right. Just make sure you get your temp right before pulling. 

Thank you sir!
    You are so lucky. A compliment from Sir CT. Wear it like a badge of honour

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • agreed. Finally you see it my way.

·

Lowflyer said:

Thank you sir!

You are so lucky. A compliment from Sir CT. Wear it like a badge of honour

I'm popping a top as we speak in honor of....
    ·
  • see Steven. You could be one of the cool kids if you werent so surly all the time. The man is drinking in my hono(u)r. I beleive I will join him.

·
    These are 1st. 4:00 is judgement time
    image.jpg 2.4M
    ·
    Very tasty... My pull off a Lil sooner next time.
    image.jpg 2.4M
    ·