Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Grass Fed Brisket

TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,610
Okay, after a bit of confusion with a new meat supplier I was trying, I picked up a 13lb. grass-fed packer yesterday evening. I was planning on a 15+ hour cook so I put the brisket on around midnight last night and went to bed with the Maverick hooked up and a grid temp of around 260. I woke up this morning around 5 as the grid temp had fallen to the 220 threshold I had set. I was surprised to see that the IT on the brisket was already over 180. I bumped the grid temp up a bit and it only took a couple of hours for the IT to reach 190. I had the hi-temp grid warning set for 275 so, I know it never got that high during the night. The IT reached 194 around 7:30ish and stayed there until around 9:00 and then jumped up a degree or two. I probed the brisket in multiple locations (both flat and point) and met no resistance going in or out so I figured I better get it FTC'd. While I expected some variation in the cook time for a grass-fed brisket (my first) and a grain-fed brisket, I was not expecting the cook time to be as short as it was. I left the internal meat probe in the brisket while it is FTCing so that I can monitor the IT. I guess we'll eat whenever it's dropped down to the 140 range. Hopefully that will be closer to (an early) dinner time tonight.

I'll update with results once I see how it turned out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 702
    Looks great. Be interested to hear your eval on the flavor of the grass fed.
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,610
    Okay, we ate the brisket around 6:00pm. Sorry, no pics as I had left my phone downstairs in my office. 

The brisket's IT was still near 150 after a little over 7 hrs of FTC. The brisket had a great bark and a respectable fire ring. The flavor was fantastic. Unfortunately, the flat was a little on the dry side; although the point was very moist. I think I probably left the brisket on an hour or two too long due to the fact that I just couldn't believe it could actually have been ready after only a little over 7 hours on the egg.

I think I might try doing another one but going with something under 10 lbs. Now that I know how much shorter the cook time can be I'll be better prepared. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Still good idea to check gauges.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • awesome. I think you are going to have a hard time getting a grass fed flat moist anyway. I think you did it just right. 

·
    Just heated up a few slices with a little sauce and am enjoying a sandwich at this very moment... very tasty.

I actually chopped about 1/2 of the brisket last night and have it in the freezer, I'm sure it will make some great sandwiches too!
    I'm going to do a post about this in a minute but my butcher has 70+ day aged prime ribeye right now for $9.99 if you are interested

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    I'm actually getting ready to make my own setup for dry ageing some prime rib. It was one of the reasons. Have you had the 70+ day aged before. I was looking at doing mine for 45 or so.
    I'm sorry, they are wet aged, I said dry aged out of habit. I may pick up a primal from him today and dry age it for a couple of months. I have gone as long as 100 before. 45 to 60 days seems to be about the best in my experience. No shorter though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    I'm sorry, they are wet aged, I said dry aged out of habit. I may pick up a primal from him today and dry age it for a couple of months. I have gone as long as 100 before. 45 to 60 days seems to be about the best in my experience. No shorter though.
    Actually, I see that you didn't actually write "dry" aged so that was my mistake.