Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted Chicken

Im new to the BGE.  My wife surprised me with one for my birthday last wednesday.  Got home from work and a Lg BGE was on the back deck.  Im firing it up for the first time today and roast a chicken and do some baked potatoes.  Any advice for a first timer like myself?  I purchased the lg place setter and the V rack in anticipation of this cook.

Thanks for your help.  Im jacked to be part of the BGE community!

Chris

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Welcome @carcoutte. That's an amazing birthday present (you must be doing something right!)

Lot's of us swear by spatchcock chicken so, that's what I would recommend. It's a pretty simple way to do a whole bird. Do a search here and you'll find more than enough info how how to do it (if you don't already know). And, remember, if there aren't any pics it didn't happen! 
    ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Welcome!
    The most popular way to do the chicken is to spatchcock it (butterfly):

However, if you just want to put the chicken in the V-rack and cook it I'm sure it will turn out great.  I would put some foil over the plate setter to catch the drippings and shoot for around 350 and cook until it is 180 in the deepest part of the thigh. 

For the taters, I usually just put some olive oil on them and some kosher salt and throw them on (no foil).  

I would go ahead and light it at least 45 minutes ahead of when you plan to start cooking and play around with getting the temp stable. 

Good luck!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    +1 on the spatchcock. Don't be intimidated by it. Lots of you tube videos. I liked freds music and barbecue. He has a lot of good videos. I add some rosemary to my taters. I also slice in 1/4 inch pieces
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I cook direct and raised (if cant be raised just keep a super eye on it). 400 and skin up spatchcocked.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Set the Chicken in an aluminum pan after putting on a good rub of your choice I like Arther Bryants and pour in some apple juice. When the egg is stable at 350 degrees put you chicken in and let in get to an internal temp at the breast of about 155 degrees. Remove and cover and place in a cooler while you get the rest of your dinner ready. Temp will rise to 160 in the breast and 180 in the thighs. Slice and eat. I usually do three Breasts this way and it takes about 2 hrs and 15 min. I always brine my chickens overnight also as this makes them juicy and tender. Enjoy your new Egg and don't be afraid to try anything. The potatoes will take about an hour on the egg and your chicken my take about that or a little more as I have never done just one.
  • carcouette
    carcouette Posts: 14
    Thank you guys for the advice.  Im going to try the spatchcock chicken today.  I will let you know how it goes.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    You can also cut up the potatoes and place them in the drip pan under the chicken, make sure to have some space between the pan and the platesetter, and then they are bathed in chickenie goodness. A little rosemary, S & P mmmm...
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • carcouette
    Dmurf that is a fantastic idea!!!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Cut the veggies or potatoes a little lg. Throw allittle chicken broth in the pan.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Deviledegger
    Deviledegger Posts: 271
    In general I would just try to hammer out a bunch of cooks following the advice from all the great eggers on this forum. Aside from that know that there is a learning curve but once you get some cooks under your belt you'll gain confidence. IMHO eggs are similar to a compass. Once you stabilize a temp trust that they egg is going to do its thing. And have fun!
  • carcouette
    My first few cooks have gone well.  The whole chicken came out fantastic.  I did some burgers recently as well.  Easily the best burgers I have ever had.  Im planning to do a pork shoulder this weekend.  Stepping up the game a little bit.