Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Beef Brisket

My Egg is coming up on a year old and while I've done lots of pork, chicken, tri-tip, etc. I've never done a brisket. Until today. Actually an overnighter starting yesterday around 7:30 pm. I'm very happy with the results of my first attempt. Got a 16 pound packer from Smart and Final. Had to trim about 6" of flat off so it would fit the Egg. With that and the excess fat trimmed it was actually about 10 - 11 pounds going on. Smoke was provided from my oak treasury from the large oak that collapsed nearby a month ago. 15.25 hrs at +/- 240 degrees. I did catch the temp creeped up to 270 at 2 am so had to make an adjustment. For a moment I thought it would be done to early when it hit 191 internal at 7:30 this morning. Turned out the stall was just starting and the temp dropped in short order to 182. Stalled for about three hours. Pulled it off at an internal of 196 - 205 depending where I stuck it with the Thermapen.
LBGE - July 2012
Valencia, CA

Comments

• dude- that's what I'm talking about! Nice. I'm doing one tonight too and helping my neighbor do his first (he just got his egg a few hours ago and it will be his first cook) in the am.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    Looks damn good!

Man I love brisket! I haven't made one on the Egg yet, but soon...
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    edited June 2013
    I'm jealous. I haven't worked up the courage to tackle a brisket yet. That looks great.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    BRISKET........... You're doing it right. 

That sliced pic looks fantastic. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    I am attempting my second one today. I put a 12lb on at about 7pm and will hope for the best tomorrow.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Thank you all. Cen-Tex and Travis to get a compliment from a couple of guys in the know from the barbecue belt is making me walk about a foot off the ground right now (I swear it is not the Bacardi and coke doing it). I was nervous as hell going into this cook and did a lot of research. One of these days I'll do your method Travis but wanted to stay to a pretty basic recipe for my first try and adjust from there. I was really surprised how the first one came out. BBQ is always an adventure - the outcome is never guaranteed. Onward and forward...
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Ghat brisket looks great! What size is your egg? I do 16 pounders all the time in my large and never cut the m in half.
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    I have a large. The brisket was not cut in half, I just cut about 6" of the flat off. The footprint of the 16 pounder was just too big to fit. The picture explains it better than I can in words.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Nice!

I was wanting to do an overnight brisket tonight.. Decided to swing by WalMart on the way home, and the brisket bin was empty.. :(

Bought a chuck roast to try pepper stout beef or shredded beef tomorrow.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    1st brisket on tonight ...hangin at 228.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    edited June 2013
    jfarley said:
    I have a large. The brisket was not cut in half, I just cut about 6" of the flat off. The footprint of the 16 pounder was just too big to fit. The picture explains it better than I can in words.
    If I get a brisket that is too long for my BGE, I drape it over  rib rack to make it fit.  It usually shrinks enough to fit later and I remove the rack.  Your brisket looks great.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA