Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Advice

Options
Alright folks, I've done a few briskets successfully. However, it's been a while. Just put a 10# packer on. Need some advice. Got the guru dialed in to 225*. How long should I expect it to take? What temp should I pull and FTC?

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Brisket is probably the only meat that can't be cooked to temperature, some are done at 185* some are done at 210*. I think most people on here shoot for the 200* level but I am far from a expert.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Options
    I am shooting for 200, but it seems to have already jumped to 108 rather quickly.
  • lecrams
    Options
    I think I need a little coaching. I woke up to find the IT at 180. I realize it could be in the stall, but have no clue since I have been snoozing. Dinner is at 6 tonight, any chance this bad boy is going to make it long enough to FTC up until chow time? How do I savage my father's day cook? TIA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    There's always chance. I had a similar experience Friday night/Saturday though and actually left mine on an hour or so longer than I should have (because I just couldn't "believe" it was done). I'd start probing your's when it gets to 190 and pull it when it's ready. I had mine FTC'd for a little over 7 hrs yesterday and it still had an IT near 150 so, if you are in a stall you might be okay.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Thank you TOTN! Did you add any beef broth or other liquid to the foil? I've seen it done both ways. An hour later and she's at 184. Fingers crossed she'll make it to noon!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    No, i did not add anything to the foil. I've seen where others have done that. BTW, if you're using a remote probe you can keep that in the meat while it FTC's (I did with mine). That way you can monitor the IT during the day.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Mine had 2 mini stalls yesterday, one at 160 and one at 187. It hung at 187 for an hour and then punched to 193 right quick. You ain't gonna make noon. Pull it when it is done if you want the best result. When you FTC fill as much of the dead space in the cooler as possible and keep your probe in so you can monitor temp.
  • lecrams
    Options
    I known noon is a pipe dream, but a guy can dream, right? This is what happens when you don't do brisket but once every 1-2 years. Guess I need to do more. So what is the minimum temp I can safely let it reach in the FTC?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    140 for at least 4 hours seems to be the generally accepted minimum standard.
    Options
    what do you mean by ftc? I have never heard of that before. I have a 12lb brisket cooking now. i put it on last night at 7pm with hopes of eating today around 2:30. My xl has been holding steady @ 250 dome temp throughout the cook. Internal temp this morning is at 170. Did I mention that this is only my second time cooking brisket? Here is how she looks so far.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • lecrams
    Options
    Just to clarify, it can drop down to 140 and stay there up to 4 hours and it's safe?
  • lecrams
    Options
    FTC is foil, towels, cooler. A great way to hold cooked meat until meal time  Wrap your meat very tight in 2-3 layers of foil, line a good cooler with towels, put meat in cooler, fill with more towels. Keep your temp probe in so you can monitor meat temp.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    thanks for the info. I am shooting for an internalntemp of 190-200 but i think im in the dreaded stall. well i will cross my fingers for both you and I. Happy fathers day and best of luck. Thanks!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    lecrams said:
    Just to clarify, it can drop down to 140 and stay there up to 4 hours and it's safe?
    Yes. Some will say that you can go beyond 4 but, up to 4 and you should not have any problems.
    you are golden. Drop the temp of your egg to around 200  if you want to slow it down. you could go 2 or more hours to get your brisket up to temp if you slow it down. Those last few degrees can be really stubborn anyway.

You can FTC for many hours (and normally great results) so I think you are in great shape.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lecrams
    Options
    Update, so I moved the temp probe and found the middle of the flat to be at 177 at about 9:30 EST. So I did a little dance and went on with my yard work. 3.5 hours later, she's at 193 IT! I went from pissed off this morning to being thrilled now. Centex, you're right, those last few degrees have been tough.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Im stalled at 180. I stepped out for a couple of hours and my grill temp dropped to 190. I opened the vent up a little and its climbing back up. Im hoping the meat temp moves along with it. here is a pic.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM