Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another beginner attempt at pizza using frozen dough (pics)

Options

Another attempt at pizza on the LBE tonight.  I bought a case of dough from Sam's Club and the first batch created 3 to 4 inch thick pizza so some adjustments this cook seemed to help

Today I started with a few dough balls set out on the counter to defrost in the bag they are packaged in.  Room temperature was around 75 degrees and took about 3 hours to defrost
When mostly defrosted, I cut in half, reformed and set aside rise to reduce the amount of dough
Fired up the egg and let warm for close to an hour at 550.  Couldn't get it any higher tonight
We prepped the shells, two by hand and two using a rolling pin as Nola suggested.
We docked/poked with a fork to let air out before topping
All four pizzas turned out better then last week but not quite pizzeria quality

Some observations:
I see why some change out the fire grate for more air flow and higher temps
The pinned vs. hand tossed dough did result in a thinner crust
The pizzas and slices they sell are Sam's must be 18 -20 inches across so I'm sure I had too much dough for a LBE pizza stone on the first cook
Dough kept proofing from tossing, topping, and awaiting cooking.
The frozen dough from Sam's is convenient for a quick go-to but see the need to mix own dough

Comments

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options
    So this is the dough they use for their pizzas at the snack bar?  I guess I never realized they sell that.. 

My first pizzas were with frozen dough.. I used Pepe's, though.  They sell them individually at WalMart in the freezer section.  They came out pretty good.  Definitely weren't too big for the Egg.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    Go to your fav pizza place and ask if they sell their dough.  Have them cut large balls in half, bring home and wrap individuals in plastic wrap.  Two per freezer bag.  Use in two months.  
    MBGE in Charleston

• tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    Options
    We use 00 flour and make the dough. It is very quick to do. We also substitute honey for the sugar and it turns out awesome.
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    Options

Thanks guys.  We previouly used a local pizza shop and will be trying 00 dough next.

• charliebatutis
    Options
    The dough from SAMs is convenient and cheap. For $17 a case comes with twenty dough balls. We get 6-8 pizzas out of each dough ball. We also plan for the dough to thaw on the counter for 9 hours. That allows the dough to rise before you make the pie. Did you try cleaning out the charcoal and rebuild w new charcoal before the cook? I can't get above 550 unless I start w fresh charcoal. Hang in there. It gets better each time.
  • charliebatutis
    Options
    Another tip: SAMs sells Imo's branded provel cheese. It's super creamy and makes the difference on the pizzas we make.