Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Okay Floridians

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited June 2013
    A 4Rivers opened Thursday in Jacksonville while I was there Thursday and it was pretty darn good! Same guy runs the one in Winter Park.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    cazzy, you have to hit the tourist traps for the kids but then head to the east or west coast for the vacation part. If you head this way let me know and I'll get some info for you and if you stay at Tuckaway they have the XL egg and a great seafood place just down the road so you'll cut your food bill in half.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Another vote for 4Rivers from a local :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/tickets.htm#tickettypes

:-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Didn't realize anthony's was there. Meatball Pizza is great.
    Dunedin, FL
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    @cazzy, here's another idea for your family Florida vacation. When the Grands were here we took them to Cocoa Beach for a surfing lesson. They LOVED it. A tiny little sweet Jessica gave them their lesson and the eleven year old had a giant smile for two solid hours. They never came out of the water. They rode their wave in and paddled right back out to Jessica. They had a great time. On the way home we stopped at Ron Jon's and it was a great day. Have fun and enjoy Florida. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Thanks granny! That's a great idea! We leave Saturday morning...the kids are getting excited! :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Oh, the wife and I are going to Miami September 21st. No plans at all...just going to go with the flow. ;)
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    We left Miami in 1983. You will have a great time.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Book your character meals now. Giordono's in Kissimmee has great Chicago style pizza for something different.

Everyone here so far has knocked Disney. We have always loved it. Some of our best memories are from our trips there. It's expensive but really no more than any other type of entertainment. When you see your little one in awe of everything it will be worth it.

Universal definitely has better rides. The spiderman rude is great. Take a few of the water bottles with the fan attached... Lifesaver.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    edited August 2013
    henapple said:

Book your character meals now. Giordono's in Kissimmee has great Chicago style pizza for something different.

Everyone here so far has knocked Disney. We have always loved it. Some of our best memories are from our trips there. It's expensive but really no more than any other type of entertainment. When you see your little one in awe of everything it will be worth it.

Universal definitely has better rides. The spiderman rude is great. Take a few of the water bottles with the fan attached... Lifesaver.

Yeah, we're no what we're getting into and are looking forward to it. From a heat standpoint, it's going to be a break from the 100+ heat we've had the last few weeks.

We're taking our sandwiches and snacks, got really comfy shoes, and I picked up a misty mate.

Took granny's advice and the last two days, we're staying at Universal so we have a unlimited fast pass when we visit the park.

Will check out that pizza spot and good advice for the character lunch! :)
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    You may consider an overnight in tampa. Busch gardens has the best rides in the south and a nice zoo to go along. Great waterpark next door. Also disney is 90 min from Clearwater beach. Gulf temp is 86 degrees. Like a big bath tub. If you come to tampa best BBQ is Pit Boss. Hands down
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited August 2013
    Big Ragu said:
    You may consider an overnight in tampa. Busch gardens has the best rides in the south and a nice zoo to go along. Great waterpark next door. Also disney is 90 min from Clearwater beach. Gulf temp is 86 degrees. Like a big bath tub. If you come to tampa best BBQ is Pit Boss. Hands down
    If you did make it to the Clearwater area, let me know. I'll meet up with you over a nice cheesesteak at Declo's.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I 2nd Busch gardens. We lived in Orlando and used to drive to tampa for Busch gardens. Plus they have the hospitality hut for free beer.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

So, I was at Disney and Epcot last week.  We've been to Universal (both parks) twice in the past year.  

Epcot was remarkably uncrowded - particularly in the World Showcase.  It doesn't have the appeal/excitement that the other parks have but I still like it.

The Magic Kingdom is still fun during the day and is magical at night.  The Electrical Parade and fireworks show are spectacular... and I worked the parade for 11 years.   

Depending on your kids' stamina, I still recommend getting a character breakfast reservation (BOOK NOW) at the Contemporary on the morning that you want to go to the Magic Kingdom.  Park at the Contemporary (saves you $15) for your breakfast, then take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom.  Get a parade position on Main Street about 8:40 and watch the parade and the subsequent video show (projected on to the front of the castle - it's very cool) and fireworks.  Then head toward the front of the park with 60,000 of your closest friends and leave them as soon as you exit by turning left and walking to your car at the Contemporary - passing the hour long lines for the monorail and ferry boat.

Have a great time.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    We were the first family at epcot one morning.... They gave us official first family buttons, took us to the rides before the park opened, took us to the front of the line for a few hours, lakeside seats for the evening show, etc....

Next day, the 4th of July... All wearing matching Disney shirts, they pulled us out of the crowd to help open the park plus move to the front of the line passes.

Jake was too young to tide the Tower of Terror so they gave him a bellhop uniform and let him work the ride.

Helluva vacation.

@cazzy... The castle character breakfast has all the Disney princesses. On a side note... Muriel was filling up her seashell top... My favorite attraction.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

I'll jump on the Epcot bandwagon.  Though it wasn't as flashy and in-your-face as the other parks, we hit Epcot at the low point of our Disney vacation.  Included were me, my wife, our boys, her sister, her sister's girlfriend, father in law and his girlfriend.  I was so tired of the heat, the resulting whiny kids, as was everyone else.  I saw a meltdown coming, so we just decided to go our separate ways at the World Showcase.  We got the kids' faces painted, and my wife picked up the largest margarita I've ever seen from "Mexico".  I opted for a Beck's from a lovely fraulein in "Germany".  The fact that it wasn't as crowded, and we could just walk around the water made it wonderful.  The attractions were pretty impressive as well.  (I want to say one was called Flight, and the other was Mission to Mars).

Our vacation was a ball, and you'll have a blast.  That place is incredible.  I was constantly entertained, even when standing in line for rides.  For most of us, it's a once or twice in a lifetime experience.  Take advantage of it!  If I could do it again, I wouldn't be as concerned with money.  I spent a lot, but it didn't kill me. 

Have a great time!  And yes, the character breakfast is awesome.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• cazzy
    edited August 2013
    @yizzi Don't think we'll make it, but i'll hit you up if we do!  :)

@Foghorn Contemporary is listed as Quick Service so I don't see anywhere to book a Dining Reservation.  

@henapple My son is a crazy Disney Junior fan and my 14 year old doesnt seem too interested in princesses anymore.  We did book a character reservation at Hollywood & Vine so he can see Jake, Handy Mandy, Captain Osi, and June.  It will definitely make his day...or scare the **** out of him.  We will see.  That's first family thing sounds pretty awesome!  Some good luck was on your side to accomplish that.

We did the Princess dining when my daughter was 5 and she enjoyed it.  Definitely think the non costume characters will interact much more, but those don't interest him.  Another dining that would be cool would be the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse...if they have it.  

@SaltySam The "Flight" ride you're talking about is called Soarin' and definitely was one of my favorite rides.  We will hit that one up again!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I've been to Disney 12 times. Epcot, Universal, Sea World ect many many times too. My dad had a dental convention in Orlando every year growing up so he would take my brother and I and buy us park hopper passes and let us run wild on our own. Big mistake on his part. 

I liked it then but loathe the idea of going back with my little one. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    cazzy said:
    Oh, the wife and I are going to Miami September 21st. No plans at all...just going to go with the flow. ;)
    You will be here in the middle of the Statewide Alligator Harvest. Getting in on a hunt would be a memory you would not soon forget.
  • Foghorn
    @cazzy, the restaurant in the Contemporary with the character breakfast is Chef Mickey's.  It is an all-you-can eat buffet.  The food rivals some of the better mass Sunday brunches I've had over the years (think Hyatt Hill Country or equivalent).

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    Foghorn said:
    @cazzy, the restaurant in the Contemporary with the character breakfast is Chef Mickey's.  It is an all-you-can eat buffet.  The food rivals some of the better mass Sunday brunches I've had over the years (think Hyatt Hill Country or equivalent).
    Breakfast is all booked up.  Will have to make sure we hit next time.  Sounds pretty awesome...much better breakfast menu than Hollywood and Vine.  Where were you when I started this thread?  haha
  • Foghorn

" Where were you when I started this thread? "

Sigh....

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    I think we may hit up dinner there.  They have all the cool characters there, so I think my son and daughter would thoroughly enjoy it.
  • cazzy
    Foghorn said:

" Where were you when I started this thread? "

Sigh....

LOL...you actually were involved from square 1.  lol
  • Foghorn

When you go to the Magic Kingdom at night, if you are not parked at the Contemporary then leaving after the fireworks is a very poor option.  The better option is to ride some rides during the 9:00 parade and get out to Main Street by 9:45 to watch the light show and fireworks - then watch the 11:00 parade and call it a night.  About 75% of the crowd leaves after the fireworks at the same time and getting on a monorail at that time takes almost an hour. 

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    edited August 2013
    Foghorn said:

When you go to the Magic Kingdom at night, if you are not parked at the Contemporary then leaving after the fireworks is a very poor option.  The better option is to ride some rides during the 9:00 parade and get out to Main Street by 9:45 to watch the light show and fireworks - then watch the 11:00 parade and call it a night.  About 75% of the crowd leaves after the fireworks at the same time and getting on a monorail at that time takes almost an hour. 

Man, you're like a pro!  We will definitely follow your advice!  Good looking out!

That plan is almost perfect...there just isn't a parade at 11pm on that day:

• Foghorn

Crap. 

And technically I am a pro.  I worked in that parade for 11 years - wearing the costumes, driving the floats, etc. 

It's an incredibly well-planned ordeal.  Pay attention to the light and sound details.   Listen to the main theme music from the speakers on the street and how it blends with the music from each section from the parade. It is synchronously broadcast over different FM frequencies from the castle - which is essentially a giant broadcast antenna - in 63 second loops.  The opening announcement will play and then the lights for that section of the parade will go down EXACTLY at the time that the first float comes into view for that section of the parade. Hitting your mark with that first float is a challenge that requires being on a radio headset with spotters on the street and the guy in the castle who pushes the button for the opening announcement about 45 seconds before you hit the spot. 

And out of over 600,000 lights on the floats it is extremely rare to see any of them not working because each light gets checked 3 times a day. 

Overall, it is remarkable that they can pump out a parade of that magnitude up to 3 times a day.

San Antonio, TX

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    what would you say the perfect age is to take your kids to Disney...  I lived in Clearwater for 3 1/2 yrs while me and my wife were still dating- busch gardens rocks... we would go to Disney/busch when family came in etc.. now I have twin 3year olds and a 1yr old... I am thinking when they are 7 and he will be 5... or 8 and 6.. I want the girls to have that magical experience with the princesses, etc and I want him to be old enough to be well- not so crabby all day
  • Foghorn

@XLBalco, you are right on target.  Younger than 4 is probably too young to really get a lot out of it.  7 and 5 or 8 and 6 is perfect.  I found out last week that 18 and 16 is still pretty great.  Did one trip with a 13/14 year old soccer team and that worked too.  Of course, when you have connections and can get the whole team on floats with Mickey, Goofy, etc. in the Animal Kingdom parade it's hard for the experience to be anything but wildly positive.

But as they get older, the more exciting rides at Universal have more appeal.

San Antonio, TX