Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Beans, need some help...

Hello all,
Does anyone have a good recipe for BBQ Beans in a CI DO? I just bought 25#s of dried pinto beans so that will likely be my starting material.v is that a silly plan? Should I be starting from canned beans?

@Eggcelsior I know you did something like this recently (maybe the throw down thread?). Any tips?

Plan for now is to mix up the beans in the DO and cook them under some butts this weekend. Going to use the new feet I scored from @MrCookingNurse for the first time!

Cheers all-
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    edited June 2013
    Bumping. 

Been soaking 4 cups of beans for the last couple hours. Will proceed after a couple more...

Middleton, WI
  • Black_Badger
    Found it, looks like it was @yzzi.

Middleton, WI
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    How's the beans? Hope you enjoy your feet!

XLBGE 
  • Black_Badger
    Just about done soaking soaking MCN. Going on with 27#s of shoulder this evening. Should be pretty cool.

Middleton, WI
  • Deviledegger
    Deviledegger Posts: 271
    This is a recipe I found on the egghead forum. If you search Fancy baked beans/egghead forum you can read the post and credit the right person for the recipe but here it is. I like to add pulled pork to the beans. I really liked these beans! FYI. Ignore the burnt fat cap on the beans. I let it cook with beans and discarded after.
    Fancy Baked Beans

I usually double it so I can freeze a bunch.

3 cups - dry white pea beans
    1/4lb bacon diced (I use a 1/2lb, love bacon)
    1 28oz can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
    2 large onions
    3/4 cup ketchup
    3/4 cup fancy molasses (I pour in more to darken them up, probably double at least)
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1tbsp dijon mustard
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    I add chunks of ham steak as well.

Rinse and sort beans in a large dutch oven or stock pot, cover beans with 3 times their volume of water.
    Bring to boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
    Drain discarding the liquid.
    Return soaked beans to pot along with 3 times their volume of fresh water. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer covered for 30-45 minutes or until tender.
    Drain reserving 2 cups cooking liquid.
    In a stock pot or dutch oven combine cooked beans, reserved cooking liquid, bacon, tomatoes, onions,ketchup, molasses, mustard, sugar,salt & pepper.
    Cover and bake on the BGE at 300 F for 2 1/2 hours.
    Uncover and bake for 1-1 1/2 hours longer or until sauce is thickened and coats beans well.
    As mentione above I use allot of molasses to make the beans really dark.
  • Deviledegger
    Deviledegger Posts: 271
    I looked it up. And Ibeesmokin should get credit for this delicious recipe.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited June 2013
    This is probably too late but I just got 2 gallons of canned beans, drained them completely. I cooked bacon pieces in the Dutch oven then tool out and fried onions in the grease. Put the beans and bacon in, squirted a bottles of sweet baby rays, some molasses, brown sugar, jalapeño, Worcestershire sauce, and anything else that looked good. Threw in some pulled pork at the end.
    Dunedin, FL