Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Ozark Oak Lump For the Atlanta Folks

The Ace in Johns Creek just got in 3 pallets of Ozark Oak and has 3 pallets of Wicked Good back ordered.  Also has a full assortment of 3 little pigs rubs and sauce. They plan to keep all in stock. I am going to burn some Ozark tonight - Thoughts on OO vs WG?
Milton, GA.

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,624
    There is a difference in the two-WGWW takes longer to light, less ash (marginally) and more smoke neutral.  Since WG changed the packaging to the blue bags I have noticed considerably more small pieces and dust.  OO has a definite oak flavor that you won't get with WGWW.  Just an opinion-YMMV-both quite good.
    Louisville
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,428
    Oo burns really well and vely low ash. WGWW is excellent as well with low ash but takes longer to light and goes strong a long time. I used WG exclusively until Henapple spoiled me with his kindness.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

• RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 476
    Price?
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • danv23danv23 Posts: 375
    How much $$ for the OO?

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a shit about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
  • flynnbob said:
    The Ace in Johns Creek just got in 3 pallets of Ozark Oak and has 3 pallets of Wicked Good back ordered.  Also has a full assortment of 3 little pigs rubs and sauce. They plan to keep all in stock. I am going to burn some Ozark tonight - Thoughts on OO vs WG?
    That's not Atlanta, that's BFE!!!   :D

And WG officially sucks in my book.  The last bag I bought is taking me upwards of an hour to get going.  And it was full of dust.

I'd like to get ahold of some of that Ozark Oak tho.
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 493
    It is very pricey - $14 for a 10lb bag but I have read a lot about it and wanted to try it.  A lot of bags were going out the door when I was there this morning.  I bet If we got enough folks together in the area I could get the owner to cut us a deal.  Good Guy.
    Milton, GA.
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,428
    edited June 2013

For 14 some $ plus tax. I would round up a posse and drive up to Arkansas with a uhaul and load em up. It aient that far.

Do we want a do a group road trip?

I could be persuaded to participate. Am a lump whore.

:)

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

• MickeyMickey Posts: 13,491
    Gave my last two bags of WG to Travis. OO is all I want to use.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Johns creek is a fer piece for me, probably need to pack a lunch but I want some OO so I may make the drive and get a couple bags. I assume there is only 1 Ace in JC but can you specify the store?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 476
    flynnbob said:
    It is very pricey - $14 for a 10lb bag but I have read a lot about it and wanted to try it.  A lot of bags were going out the door when I was there this morning.  I bet If we got enough folks together in the area I could get the owner to cut us a deal.  Good Guy.

I'm down for a local group buy!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    The OO was great!  It burned really hot.  The lumps were very big and very little dust.  Cooked a Bone in Ribeye (on sale at Publix for $5.99 / lb) and a nice strip. Good cook - family was very happy.  Maybe I will skip the WG - This was pretty darn good for me!  Yeah, I know the price is high, but I think I can beat my guy up.  He sells about 30 or so LBGE's a week.  Aviator, We could do a group buy in town and LTL some pallets if there is enough interest. 
    Milton, GA.
  • LakieLakie Posts: 4

I’m in the Atlanta area and would love to try OO. Started using Komodo Joe from my local Ace Hardware in Brookhaven when they ran out of wicked good. Guess I’m making a trip to Johns Creek this week!

Lakie said:

I’m in the Atlanta area and would love to try OO. Started using Komodo Joe from my local Ace Hardware in Brookhaven when they ran out of wicked good. Guess I’m making a trip to Johns Creek this week!

Lakie,  Go see Ralph - He is the owner and is always cooking on Saturday.  His son is Richard - Good folks and fun to BS with, besides - you will get a free lunch if you go on Saturday!
    Milton, GA.
    Johns creek is a fer piece for me, probably need to pack a lunch but I want some OO so I may make the drive and get a couple bags. I assume there is only 1 Ace in JC but can you specify the store?
    I think that there is only one.  They are on Jones Bridge Road just south of State Bridge Road.  Really good folks - Ralph is the owner and Richard is his son - They will take good care of you - I bought my egg there. You may want to call first to be sure they have OO left but they had several pallets this morning.
    Milton, GA.