Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turbo Butt - cazzy style!

cazzycazzy Posts: 7,940
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Was raining last night, so nothing went on and I said I would figure it on in the morning.  So at 8am, I decided I would do a turbo butt.  So I lit my egg, then went to the market and picked up a 8lb Boston Butt , apple smoke chips, and some Franklin's Sweet Vinegar BBQ Sauce. 

I decided to put my own spin on it, so I stabilized the egg at 320-325 dome.  My hope was to get some decent bark, so I lowered the heat a little, wrapped @170, and scratched the foil.  I opted for butcher paper since it breathes pretty well, and I think it did help preserve the bark.  Total cook time was 6 hours.

As expected, the bark is still better on a low n' slow.  However, this was fabulous, and I will definitely go this route again if i'm in a pinch!   ;)

Join the 2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange!  Find out more information here:
http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182005/2015-egghead-rub-sauce-exchange/p1

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
·

Comments

• Looks beautiful!
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,743
    That looks awesome, think I'm going to try and do a overnight tonight as long as storms don't pop up in the next couple hours.  If they do I may give the turbo @cazzy method a go.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,425
    Butcher paper?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,940
    edited June 2013
    henapple said:

Butcher paper?

Yeah, it's the same butcher paper that Aaron Franklin uses to wrap his briskets. Picked it up in Austin.

·
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 986
    Nice cook dude, looks good!
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    Great looking cook!!
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,382
    Man, that pic with the green beans and corn is AWESOME!! But the one with the pickles on the bun is just plain WRONG!  :D

Will have to try butchers paper. Thx.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,970
    Nice!

The bark looks good. The one issue I have with turbo butts is the lack of bark, but the savings in time can't be beat. I'll try "cazzy style" next time!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·

Man, that pic with the green beans and corn is AWESOME!! But the one with the pickles on the bun is just plain WRONG!  :D

Will have to try butchers paper. Thx.
    Are pickles a No No on pork in Carolina?

·
    edited June 2013

cazzy said:
    Cole slaw and sauce only. Lived in NC for 5-6 years and visited many times after that (inlaws) and never saw a sandwich with anything else. But if you like it, it's cool. :)
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·

cazzy said:

Cole slaw and sauce only. Lived in NC for 5-6 years and visited many times after that (inlaws) and never saw a sandwich with anything else. But if you like it, it's cool. :)

I guess you're just going to have to give me a good cole slaw recipe! ;)

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,420
    edited June 2013
    Sure turned out well. Do you see any difference between parchment & butcher paper? Also see the alum pan, was that put on with the paper after 170?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 684
    How was the sauce?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
    Mickey said:

Sure turned out well. Do you see any difference between parchment & butcher paper?
    Also see the alum pan, was that put on with the paper after 170?

Um, parchment paper is a lil thinner, but you could probably double layer it.

The aluminum pan was purely for transport and its where I pulled it.

·
    GQuiz said:

How was the sauce?

Franklins Sweet Vinegar is awesome! A must buy!

Also, @Skiddymarker, the Apple Butter BBQ Sauce was great and it was perfect for pork. We're going to need to get a replacement!

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,420
    So no leaking problem with paper
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 560
    Way to roll with the punches. Looks awesome.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,047
    Looks great!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
    edited June 2013
    Don't know if it did or because I had a drip pan underneath. I cooked it indirect with my rig.

·
    cazzy said:
    No problem. :) I personally prefer KFC style cole slaw, which is the easy way out. This recipe is a dead ringer, though I think it's a bit better. Kind of a pita to chop all that cabbage, even with my food processor. It doesn't keep as long as KFC either. Guess my recipe doesn't include the preservatives.  :D Unless you're having a party, I would suggest cutting the recipe in half - this makes a LOT of slaw!! Enjoy!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I always have pickles with pulled pork, mayo too. Looks good Cazzy. I turbo'd an 8 lber yesterday and used persimmon wood for smoke(1st time) and really liked the results.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
    edited June 2013

cazzy said:

No problem. :) I personally prefer KFC style cole slaw, which is the easy way out. This recipe is a dead ringer, though I think it's a bit better. Kind of a pita to chop all that cabbage, even with my food processor. It doesn't keep as long as KFC either. Guess my recipe doesn't include the preservatives.  :D Unless you're having a party, I would suggest cutting the recipe in half - this makes a LOT of slaw!! Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing! The next pulled pork sammie I post will be topped with cole slaw!

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,060
    Glad the apple butter worked out, one of our favorites. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • I recently met a guy who swore by butchers' paper for all his low and slows. I had never heard of it, but after seeing your pics and results, looks like a proven technique. I'll keep it in my back pocket.
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    shtgunal3 said:
    I always have pickles with pulled pork, mayo too. Looks good Cazzy. I turbo'd an 8 lber yesterday and used persimmon wood for smoke(1st time) and really liked the results.
    What species of persimmon? I have a "Fuyu" that I cut some wood off of and am going to use some next week.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    cazzy said:

This was my "GO TO" slaw recipe for years and it is very good.  I "tripped" over a change that makes it MUCH better though.  I was in a hurry and had all the ingredients except i didn't have milk, nor the buttermilk???  Then i remembered i had a pint of heavy cream, that i was holding to make a potato recipe.  I used the full pint of heavy cream, in place of this recipe's milk and buttermilk  -----  try it you will like it!!! 

·