Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Butt - cazzy style!

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Was raining last night, so nothing went on and I said I would figure it on in the morning.  So at 8am, I decided I would do a turbo butt.  So I lit my egg, then went to the market and picked up a 8lb Boston Butt , apple smoke chips, and some Franklin's Sweet Vinegar BBQ Sauce. 

I decided to put my own spin on it, so I stabilized the egg at 320-325 dome.  My hope was to get some decent bark, so I lowered the heat a little, wrapped @170, and scratched the foil.  I opted for butcher paper since it breathes pretty well, and I think it did help preserve the bark.  Total cook time was 6 hours.

As expected, the bark is still better on a low n' slow.  However, this was fabulous, and I will definitely go this route again if i'm in a pinch!   ;)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Looks beautiful!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    That looks awesome, think I'm going to try and do a overnight tonight as long as storms don't pop up in the next couple hours.  If they do I may give the turbo @cazzy method a go.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Butcher paper?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    edited June 2013
    henapple said:

Butcher paper?

Yeah, it's the same butcher paper that Aaron Franklin uses to wrap his briskets. Picked it up in Austin.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Nice cook dude, looks good!
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Great looking cook!!
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Man, that pic with the green beans and corn is AWESOME!! But the one with the pickles on the bun is just plain WRONG!  :D

Will have to try butchers paper. Thx.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Nice!

The bark looks good. The one issue I have with turbo butts is the lack of bark, but the savings in time can't be beat. I'll try "cazzy style" next time!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy

Man, that pic with the green beans and corn is AWESOME!! But the one with the pickles on the bun is just plain WRONG!  :D

Will have to try butchers paper. Thx.
    Are pickles a No No on pork in Carolina?
  • Carolina Q
    edited June 2013

cazzy said:
    Cole slaw and sauce only. Lived in NC for 5-6 years and visited many times after that (inlaws) and never saw a sandwich with anything else. But if you like it, it's cool. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy

cazzy said:

Cole slaw and sauce only. Lived in NC for 5-6 years and visited many times after that (inlaws) and never saw a sandwich with anything else. But if you like it, it's cool. :)

I guess you're just going to have to give me a good cole slaw recipe! ;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited June 2013
    Sure turned out well. Do you see any difference between parchment & butcher paper? Also see the alum pan, was that put on with the paper after 170?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    How was the sauce?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • cazzy
    Mickey said:

Sure turned out well. Do you see any difference between parchment & butcher paper?
    Also see the alum pan, was that put on with the paper after 170?

Um, parchment paper is a lil thinner, but you could probably double layer it.

The aluminum pan was purely for transport and its where I pulled it.
  • cazzy
    GQuiz said:

How was the sauce?

Franklins Sweet Vinegar is awesome! A must buy!

Also, @Skiddymarker, the Apple Butter BBQ Sauce was great and it was perfect for pork. We're going to need to get a replacement!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    So no leaking problem with paper
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Way to roll with the punches. Looks awesome.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Looks great!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • cazzy
    edited June 2013
    Don't know if it did or because I had a drip pan underneath. I cooked it indirect with my rig.
  • Carolina Q
    cazzy said:
    No problem. :) I personally prefer KFC style cole slaw, which is the easy way out. This recipe is a dead ringer, though I think it's a bit better. Kind of a pita to chop all that cabbage, even with my food processor. It doesn't keep as long as KFC either. Guess my recipe doesn't include the preservatives.  :D Unless you're having a party, I would suggest cutting the recipe in half - this makes a LOT of slaw!! Enjoy!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    I always have pickles with pulled pork, mayo too. Looks good Cazzy. I turbo'd an 8 lber yesterday and used persimmon wood for smoke(1st time) and really liked the results.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• cazzy
    edited June 2013

cazzy said:

No problem. :) I personally prefer KFC style cole slaw, which is the easy way out. This recipe is a dead ringer, though I think it's a bit better. Kind of a pita to chop all that cabbage, even with my food processor. It doesn't keep as long as KFC either. Guess my recipe doesn't include the preservatives.  :D Unless you're having a party, I would suggest cutting the recipe in half - this makes a LOT of slaw!! Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing! The next pulled pork sammie I post will be topped with cole slaw!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Glad the apple butter worked out, one of our favorites. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I recently met a guy who swore by butchers' paper for all his low and slows. I had never heard of it, but after seeing your pics and results, looks like a proven technique. I'll keep it in my back pocket.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    shtgunal3 said:
    I always have pickles with pulled pork, mayo too. Looks good Cazzy. I turbo'd an 8 lber yesterday and used persimmon wood for smoke(1st time) and really liked the results.
    What species of persimmon? I have a "Fuyu" that I cut some wood off of and am going to use some next week.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    cazzy said:

This was my "GO TO" slaw recipe for years and it is very good.  I "tripped" over a change that makes it MUCH better though.  I was in a hurry and had all the ingredients except i didn't have milk, nor the buttermilk???  Then i remembered i had a pint of heavy cream, that i was holding to make a potato recipe.  I used the full pint of heavy cream, in place of this recipe's milk and buttermilk  -----  try it you will like it!!!