Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Frozen or Thawed Chicken Wings

I am going to cook chicken wings for the first time on the egg. I used to cook them frozen out of the bag on my gas grill, since I no longer have the grill since I got my egg, I need to know if I can cook them low and slow indirectly straight out of the bag? If so how long should they go? Thanks in advance from a beginner egghead!

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,408
    edited June 2013
    Personally, I would thaw them so your rub will stick better.

I'm sure you could do it, I just don't like the idea of cooking frozen meat.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 721
    Throw em in water for a bit - they thaw outin no time. Dry em good, rub em and off ya go.
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Get them as high up in the dome as possible, i do mine indirect at 350 to 375 degrees, depending on their size 35 to 45 minutes.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,514
    You can frozen but I would thaw. Cooking at 400 direct raised should run 30 to 35 min
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,933
    I would thaw them, and if you have time place in frig overnight uncovered to dry out for crispier skin.
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    I do my wings indirect at 240-250 for about 2.5 hours.  You can put frozen wings on if you have to and they will cook just fine, but you won't be able to marinate them.  Plan ahead and defrost first.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,333
    Never done frozen wings.
    I do 30 20 10. At 400 indirect. Even swmbo Siam the last batch was the best yet I have done an the best she's ever had.

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Motley Brew.

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 1,158
    Thaw 'em out.  Mari in a good rub overnight.  roll onto the egg at 300 for an hour then paste on ur fav sauce. Enjoy!!!
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
  • jbqjbq Posts: 25
    GJust did my first wings on the egg today cooked at 350 direct raised grid best wings I have put in my mouth image
  • cajunrphcajunrph Posts: 44
    I cook thawed at 350 direct on the fire ring. I usually cook something on a raised grill above the wings. Did that today with Spatchcock chicken on the upper grill. Turned out great. 
    Redneck Country Club
    Columbia Lakes
    West Columbia, Tx