Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tonight's Flank

ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,785
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Tonight's flank steak, cranked the egg up to 700 and tossed it on.  Took 7 min to reach 120-125 internal.  Can't get enough of this cut...

Washed it down with one of these damn tasty English beers...

Packerland, Wisconsin

·

Comments

• SickEyeDiazSickEyeDiaz Posts: 161
    Flank is a tasty and lean cut. Fortunately for fans of it, it's not too popular with regular folk!

There's only a pound or two of flank per half beef. If more people liked it, I imagine the price could go through the roof.
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,785
    Flank is a tasty and lean cut. Fortunately for fans of it, it's not too popular with regular folk!

There's only a pound or two of flank per half beef. If more people liked it, I imagine the price could go through the roof.
    Totally agree. Have seen the price creep up a bit over the last 5 years buy still quite affordable.  Here's to keeping the price down.....shhhhhhh...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • SickEyeDiazSickEyeDiaz Posts: 161
    ^^^ I do custom meat cutting for a living, and by my estimates only one out of every 60 or so cows that we go through actually get a request for flank steak.

Ironically, today is the first day I had to trim a flank for someone in at least two months. I throw that stuff into the trim pile day after day to get ground up into burger 
    X_X
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited June 2013
    Flank is a great tasting cut, but it's tough unless thinly sliced.  It is my favorite cut for stir frying.  I slice it thin before putting it in the wok.

Last month, I couldn't find any in the display case at the grocery store.  I told the butcher that I had bought some last week.  He said "so you're the one".  
    :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • TixunauTixunau Posts: 71

Man that looks so good. We love flank as well. Haven't had a chance to do it yet on the BGE but now I have to after you posted!!

Here is what we usually do with our flank (kind off a reverse sear process but wrapped):

- chop some onion and ginger into thin slices
    - place the flank on foil
    - season both side of the flank with salt and pepper
    - before wrapping the flank in foil, lay some onion/ginger on both side
    - Cook the steak until the IT reach your desired temp. (we like is raw so I usually take it out at 105-110.
    - remove the flank and have a quick sear
    - let it rest for a few minutes and slice it
    - now take the 'juice' and cooked onion/ginger from the foil and spread it on the slices flank

Cheers!!

·
  • mwraulstmwraulst Posts: 131

love the flank, here's my secret recipe:

combine in ziplock, i use 2:

fresh juice from 6 lemons

1/4 to 1/2 bottle of soy sauce (big bottle)

2 green onions chopped

1/2 cup of dried thyme ( i get the plastic bags of it on the mexican isle, i use a whole bag)

1 cup of canola oil

marinate for at least 24 hours, 48 preferred

cook hot and fast, let rest, slice thin against the grain. caution: highly addictive

·
    ^^^ I do custom meat cutting for a living, and by my estimates only one out of every 60 or so cows that we go through actually get a request for flank steak.

Ironically, today is the first day I had to trim a flank for someone in at least two months. I throw that stuff into the trim pile day after day to get ground up into burger 
    X_X

Really interesting.  If they only knew...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·

Last month, I couldn't find any in the display case at the grocery store.  I told the butcher that I had bought some last week.  He said "so you're the one".  
    :))
    That's funny, I wonder if my local grocery store keeps a couple out because I buy one every week!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
    Tixunau said:

Here is what we usually do with our flank (kind off a reverse sear process but wrapped):

- chop some onion and ginger into thin slices
    - place the flank on foil
    - season both side of the flank with salt and pepper
    - before wrapping the flank in foil, lay some onion/ginger on both side
    - Cook the steak until the IT reach your desired temp. (we like is raw so I usually take it out at 105-110.
    - remove the flank and have a quick sear
    - let it rest for a few minutes and slice it
    - now take the 'juice' and cooked onion/ginger from the foil and spread it on the slices flank

Cheers!!

mwraulst said:

2 green onions chopped

1/2 cup of dried thyme ( i get the plastic bags of it on the mexican isle, i use a whole bag)

1 cup of canola oil

cook hot and fast, let rest, slice thin against the grain. caution: highly addictive

Interesting recipes.  Will have them a shot...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Somebody on here said they pounded flank before marinating it. Whoever that was speak up and all credit goes to you. I tried it last time and I'm sold so much tenderer than ever before. Love flank steak!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,361
    in the 1980s the Japanese discovered skirt steak and the price doubled.  I started using flank for fajitas when skirt became scarce.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    Flap steak is much better for fajitas than flank steak, IMHO.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,935
    Best fajita meat IMHO is hanger.

·
  • HibbyHibby Posts: 456
    mwraulst said:

2 green onions chopped

1 cup of canola oil

What surface are you grilling this on? Steel? Regular SS grate?
    Conservative stalwart in Thornville, Ohio
    ·