Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork first-timer

Options
EggCattivo
EggCattivo Posts: 11
Hi group!
New here, got my Egg a few weeks ago and love it!! Today it's my first try on a PP. So excited :-)))))
Egg seems to be stable at 220 now and I will sit here just watching and enjoying the next hours :-)

One question: Do you mop your PP (closer to finish time) or just leave the lid closed until meat temp has reached desired value (200?). 

Prost!

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options

I just Leave the lid closed until it reaches 200.  When it is done I take it up and double wrap it in foil and let it rest for about 30 minutes approximately.  Then I shred the meat in a stainless steel bowl with two forks because its pretty hot still.  During the 30 minute rest time I am finishing up the sides for the meal :+)

Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

• EggCattivo
    Options
    Thanks, Pharmeggist. So no mopping for me today, too :-)
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I agree... no mopping necessary. I did a couple last weekend. I FTC'd mine for about 4 hours. When I unwrapped them for pulling the IT was still 160.

And, BTW, welcome to the lifestyle.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @EggCattivo good luck and lid closed if your looking your not cooking
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bvdw
    bvdw Posts: 37
    Options
    close the lid and cook. I never open the lid... comes out great

• shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    Options
    I did my first butt a few weeks ago and I did not mop it and it turned out great. 
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • EggCattivo
    Options
    Thanks people! You were right. No mopping, now locking, and it turned out great. Next saturday the next pork butt will find it's way into the EGG :-)