Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!!

BrotherEgg
BrotherEgg Posts: 95
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Some steaks for Father's day from my favorite butcher and a whole bunch of Pizza dough from my favorite Italian deli (both just happen to be under the same roof). The Egg will be put to good use over the next few days!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Awesome looking ribeyes!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    What a score !!!! Congrats !!!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• That looks like fun!
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    whoop whoop whoop (insert woot-off lights here)!
    Some good looking ribeyes there.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • BrotherEgg
    Thanks guys. I really hope I don't screw those steaks up. Planning to salt them and leave them uncovered in the refrigerator for a few hours and then at room temp for an hour or two before grilling. I planning to reverse seer. Going raised direct at 400 dome temp with temperature probe in the side to  IT of 125. Pull then seer on the spider for 3 minutes per side and then let sit for 10 minutes before cutting. Please let me know if you see any big mistakes here. Thanks.

Steve

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,616
    I like it! Congrats.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    That all sounds good except the room temp thing is unnecessary. 

This is pretty well written:  http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

That all sounds good except the room temp thing is unnecessary. 

This is pretty well written:  http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html
    Thanks Nola. You had suggested this article in another post and I read it but forgot about the insignificance of bringing it to room temp. In another well written SE article that was suggested here (perhaps by you) " More Tips for Perfect Steaks" they get into the whole when to salt controversy. Their bottom line was either at least 40 minutes before or immediately  before you cook. They left their favorite salted and uncovered in the fridge overnight. Apparently, the meat reabsorbs the moisture that the salt draws in that time. According to their testing, putting the steak on before the 40 minute time period is a sentence for a ruined steak.

Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • dude- seriously good looking chunks o meat there. I'm jealous

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

• That all sounds good except the room temp thing is unnecessary. 

Thanks Nola. You had suggested this article in another post and I read it but forgot about the insignificance of bringing it to room temp. In another well written SE article that was suggested here (perhaps by you) " More Tips for Perfect Steaks" they get into the whole when to salt controversy. Their bottom line was either at least 40 minutes before or immediately  before you cook. They left their favorite salted and uncovered in the fridge overnight. Apparently, the meat reabsorbs the moisture that the salt draws in that time. According to their testing, putting the steak on before the 40 minute time period is a sentence for a ruined steak.
    That is a great article. I usually salt and go but I'll try the overnight thing for sure. Salt is a cool think when you use it right.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BrotherEgg
    dude- seriously good looking chunks o meat there. I'm jealous

Thanks Cen-Tex. I thought I go all out for Father's day. It's my introduction of the Egg to my son (daughter shared my first spatchcocked chicken). He's an avid BBQ fan. Perhaps we'll have a couple of new disciples after tomorrow.

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Celebrated Father's Day tonight because I will be traveling for a few days.  Put a Bone-in Ribeye and Strip on the grill at 600 for about 3.5 min per side.  I am pretty much a cook by feel guy and know that it will bite me eventually but these came out great.  Need to get a spider and thermapen.  I will post my biggest screw-up because I know it will be big.  My wife is cleaning up all the mess in the kitchen as another Father's Day gift so that I can sit here and BS with you guys - God bless her.  Here is a pic - A little blurry, especially after a few Coors Lights!  Happy Father's Day to the Fathers and Happy Weekend to everyone else!
    Milton, GA.