Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef back ribs and foodsaver?

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I've been looking for good beef back ribs since making some a couple weeks ago.  I found some at the store today and bought them.  I had to stop at another branch of the same store on the way home from work because the first one didn't have some of the stuff I needed.  At the second store, they had more back ribs and they were on sale!  So, I doubled down.  Now I've got twice as much beef back ribs as I can reasonably cook and eat.  I also have a Food Saver I bought at Costco a few months ago, but have not yet used.  Anyone know if typical beef back ribs will fit in the 11" wide food saver roll?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Just spit balling here: lay down on table the bag and sit the ribs on top. Take a picture and we will tell you if too long? So sorry, but it was asking to be done. Can't sleep and picked on you. Sorry
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cheech5001
    cheech5001 Posts: 102
    Yes they do.
    I have used the same material for beef ribs many times.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @cheech5001... I was watching a video about vacuum sealing some bone-in rib eyes the other day. This guy said that sometimes the bone will tear through the food saver bag so he wrapped some paper towel around the ends of the bones. Have you ever had a similar problem vacuum sealing ribs?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    @Texanofthenorth No I haven't.
    You need to be careful when sealing things with sharp or pointy bones and use paper towel, but typically rib bones are more rounded and not sharp, so no worries.
  • njl
    In the grocery store, I see the bones cut through the plastic frequently, but that's much thinner plastic than a food saver bag.
  • njl
    edited June 2013
    Ok...they did fit the foodsaver roll bags pretty easily.  The Foodsaver is now broken in...and very cool.