Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I screwed up my steaks

Options
Thought I would trex my steaks tonight. About 1 inch thick beef tenderloin. Seared them for 3 min a side at 800. I think that was too much right? There wasn't pink left. I like med rare. Big fail at least it was quick.
"Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes............. Well, he eats you"

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    sorry man. yeah that is way to hot and long for 1" steaks. You need a thermapen. Go by temp, not time and you'll never ruin another one. Get out the A1 and choke em down :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Gooey1
    Gooey1 Posts: 96
    Options
    Thanks least you made me laugh
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sorry, man. Yeah, that was way to long and way too hot. An inch is awfully thin. TRex is really intended for thick steaks, at least 1.5", preferably 2". Calls for not just the sear, but a follow up roast as well.

I've just about given up on steaks. The first one I TRex'd on my egg was awesome. About four years ago. Haven't had a good one since. Tough and tasteless. Every. Single. One.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cheech5001
    cheech5001 Posts: 102
    Options
    Don't give up!

I just did an awesome bone in rib steak using the reverse sear method.

Works every time, and best steaks ever!
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    +1 on reverse sear. I think it's easier and better than trex.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don't eat that much steak, but of the ones I've made, the reverse sear ones were the best. And the advice given for cooking to temp is golden - listen to CT!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    +3 on reverse sear. I like it better than trex.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Gooey1
    Gooey1 Posts: 96
    Options
    Thanks reverse sear it will be next time.  I will let you know how it goes!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Thermapen... A must have.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    yes reverse sear works great.  I use a spider with the 13" CI grate and place it in the egg not long after lighting so it has plenty of time to heat up.  Let the egg come to temp which for me is 400-450 cause I roast my steaks indirect via a PSwoo2 which I simply lift out after the roast.  Then place the steaks on the CI grid which by now is really hot.  Depending on thickness I've seared as little as 30-45 sec per side and as long as 2 min (ribeye roast).  Thermapen is mandatory unless you are one of the steak Jedi's who just know by feel.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Yeah, a little long for a 1" sirloin.  We cook sirloin quite often.  We like it because it's lean yet tender and we can usually get it on sale.  Kind of a poor man's filet.

I've not tried the reverse sear yet, but I'll sear two minutes per side at about 600*, then flip again, shut the Egg down and let steaks sit for two minutes for med. rare or three minutes for medium.  Always turned out perfect.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I love cross grill marks and entire family likes the rib eyes medium well. I too have a Spider and a setup with a 13 inch BGE CI grate that sits on the spider. I sear 90 seconds at 45 degree angle, rotate it at 45 degrees for another 90 seconds, flip it over and do the same on the other side. So total of 3 minutes for the steaks. Remove them and put in on my 18 inch CI grate for another 3 minutes each side. Comes out perfect each time.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Zuma
    Zuma Posts: 50
    Options
    Absolutely reverse sear.   So easy and enjoyable as well.   That is how we do ours lately.   Give it a try, hopefully you won't give up on steaks.   
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    I like 800 degrees when I'm blowing glass.   Steaks are better at 500/600 IMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    3 minutes per side at 800F to sear them?  Holy crap.  Where'd you read such bad advice?  For tenderloin that thin, I probably would have seared 30-60s at that temp, then cooked 3 minutes per side at 400F and check for doneness.
  • Weshells
    Weshells Posts: 8
    Options
    Seared steaks last weekend for the 1st. time.......BAM....it was splendishous.....everyone really enjoyed them. $60.00 ish on the Green Egg was kinda nerve racking for a 1st. time with the steaks. Had the Egg at approx. 600 degrees...put steaks on for 2 mins.....raised the lid...flipped steaks 2 more mins.....3rd. flip another 2 mins.........kill the fire....let sit for 3-4 mins with lid on Egg closed........open lid...place steaks in pan with foil.....let sit for 10-15 mins........Eat and be thankful....enjoy.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Live and learn. No big deal. Keep cooking and reading and it will get better and better
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    Options
    What is "trex"?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Actually, your steaks sound like they came out pretty close to the way my in-laws like them (makes it really hard for me to want to do steaks for them).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.