Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt is getting done to early.

Options
Jeffroe189
Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
So my first butt I cooked was 9 lbs. I put it on at 3am temp 250 and it was not finished in time to eat at 6. So this time I got an 11 lb butt and figured around 18 hr to cook. So it put it on at 9pm and figured it would be done around 3ish so I could wrap it and put it in a cooler. Well set the temp at 250 went to bed and checked on it a couple times last night. Held 250 all night. This morning at 7am the meat temp is already at 175. This thing is getting done way to fast. What are my options if it gets done way early. We are not eating until 6pm. On a side note. My wife got me a www.eggware.net cap for Father's Day. It is awesome and looks super cool to. There customer service is hands down best I have come across. I called the Friday and left a message. Matt called me back within 30 min. He was on vacation playing golf in NC and still had time to talk with me. My cap had a small area on the top where one of the welds had burnt thru the top. He said he would send a brand new cap on Monday when he got back to the office. That is the kind of customer service that makes a business successful. Thanks www.eggware.net
Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    It may stall again...  You could still wrap and put it in a cooler for a few hours and then start pulling it early.  Crock pot may be an option after pulling.

Options
    I FTC'd a couple of butts last weekend for just a little over 4 hrs. and the IT was still around 160 when I pulled them. I think you could probably go 5-6 hours FTC if you have to. Just make sure that you keep the butt well insulated in your cooler. You can help by warming your towels up in the dryer. 

I assume you're going for around 190-200 IT on your butt? If you're in a stall you may be okay.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Yes 200 IT and I took the egg down to 225 to give me a little more time.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You can try to lower the temp more.  Are you cooking at 250 dome temp?  The only problem is if you don't have a controller it is a little work to keep the temp lower.  Like @paqman said, it might take longer than you think to get to 195-200.  If you can slow it down to push back the finish time to 1:30-2:00 then you could FTC it for the remaining time.  If it finishes before then, another option is to wrap it in foil and put it in the oven at 170 or so (that is my oven's lowest setting) .  

Crock pot is certainly an option as well, however I think what I would do is leave it whole in the foil and put it inside the crock pot if it will fit.  Just use the crock pot to keep it warm, but pull it closer to serving time. Just my $.02, but I find once you pull it and it sits in the crock pot it gets kind of funky after a while.  It could just be that my crockpot sucks...even on the lowest setting it gets hot spots and the pork starts to stick to the sides :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Oven @ warm is another option (foil)

Options
    Don't "cut yourself short".  Start at your serving time, add some time for pulling, add three or four hours of resting in an "UNOPENED" cooler.  Then this is the time you should be shooting for.  That gives you a couple of hours for uncertanties you might run into, like a double stall or an extended stall.  This is why i turbo cook --  a whole lot less stress and good moist pork, try it, you'll like it!!  :x
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

Don't "cut yourself short".  Start at your serving time, add some time for pulling, add three or four hours of resting in an "UNOPENED" cooler.  Then this is the time you should be shooting for.  That gives you a couple of hours for uncertanties you might run into, like a double stall or an extended stall.  This is why i turbo cook --  a whole lot less stress and good moist pork, try it, you'll like it!!  :x

Without the great bark from a low and slow though. I agree that Turbo is a lot less stressful, yields great pork, but I like my bark a lil too much.

I'm doing a modified turbo today though due to lack of time. I'm going to try and wrap it in paper though and see if it preserves whatever bark I get.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

cazzy,

I love the bark of the butts, as many people do, but for most of MY uses, pulled pork sammiches, or Black Beans and Rice, etc., the moist flavor filled turbo product works best for all concerned.  I don't think a pulled pork sammach made from bark chips would be better??  Actually, many years ago, at family reunions we would intentionally "overcook" a few butts for the production of bark.  We called it "pork chips"!  We were using offset cookers with water pans and we would put these butts in the hotest part of the oven near the the firebox.  The cooks used to eat on this "stuff", it was good!!  But i don't think it would go over big, to make the entire meal out of bark.  The turbo method produces some bark, i have never tried it, but i think you could turbo cook up to maybe 230 or 240 degrees and you might have one big chunk of bark, if thats what you want???  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I grew up on Carolina BBQ which is a mix of soft, moist meat with crunchy, flavorful bits of bark through out. This dichotomy is what makes BBQ what it is for me. I will do turbo for when it is needed, but low and slow is still my favorite. If I am having BBQ, this is key. Anything else, whatever is cool with me.

Ultimately it's what you like, not me.

OP, if you hit temp early, it will be fine FTCing until 6.Do not open the cooler.