Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When is gasket ready for hight temp cooks?

Options
BrotherEgg
BrotherEgg Posts: 95
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
My dealer told me not to go to high temperatures in the Egg until the gasket adhesive was properly cured with a few low temp cooks. I've done about 4 cooks with the temp at 350 to 400. Is that enough to harden the gasket adhesive? Thanks

Steve

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Some people ignore that advice altogether and you'll find many on here who've "lost" their gasket and never bothered to replace. Id' say if you've got a high temp cook you want to do, go for it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    It's ready for high temp cooks when you replace it with a Rutland and Ultracopper.  :D I did what your dealer suggested. Gasket was gone in a month. Rutland has been just fine for four years and still looks new. A bit dirty, but new.

Assuming BGE is still using felt. Read something the other day that made me think they may have started using Nomex as the stock gasket. Those should last a bit longer, though I still wonder what adhesive they're using.

Anyone know? Is Nomex the official gasket now? Are they still using meltable adhesive?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    If you've done 4 cooks already, it is ready now. Go for it
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    The first day you bring the egg home!   :D

I did steaks for my first cook...never looked back.  I am only on my 2nd gasket in 4 years on that particular egg.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    my original gasket was just replaced after 3.5yrs. Did low-slow,and high (when doing steaks) 5-650.

My new one is a high-temp felt with self-adhesive from BGE. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    My understanding is that the new lighter gray gaskets are higher temp but not Nomex. Read somewhere that the new gaskets didn't need to be cured.

In short, you're good to go for a high temp cook!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My Egg is new and the gasket is a light gray so I'm assuming I have the update. My dealer is a bit paranoid about this because he started an Egg at the store for a demo cook and was distracted by customers inside the store. By the time he remembered that the Egg was on it went nuclear and destroyed the gasket.

I'm a bit bummed because I was all set to do my first steaks for Father's Day using my PSWoo3 for a reverse seer. When I went to pick up my 13" CI grate that I ordered for the Woo it turned out that they mistakenly sent a 15" grate. In any case, I have to work around that and that will require a higher temp.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Eh, Proceed as you had originally planned. Your steaks may not have the same "steakhouse markings" as with the cast iron grate, but as long as you sear at the same temp, the taste will be the same.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    At Salado I saw an egger get distracted and went ballistic... No harm that I could see.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    It's going to burn up, sooner or later, don't worry about it til it happens, even then it is not an emergency.  Then get a Rutland and your gasket problems are over.